Picture of Tracy Richardson
Free text component
by Tracy Richardson - Wednesday, 27 April 2016, 2:59 AM

Hi there,

I'm looking for a component that allows a learner to input free text and save it, without it being an assessment. A great example is in Learning Pool's Sales Process module:

https://community.adaptlearning.org/learningpool_example2/index.html#/id/5614cd83e101c4b83f8b8803

It would be even better for my purposes, if a model answer or generic feedback could be supplied.

Is this, or a similar component available for use? 

I would also like to do the same thing with the slider component- allow a learner to position a slider and receive generic feedback without an indication of correct or incorrect.

In fact, is there an easy way for any question component to be set to have neither a correct nor incorrect response, but to show feedback on a choice or opinion?

Many thanks.

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: Free text component
by Brian Quinn - Wednesday, 27 April 2016, 8:09 AM

Hi Tracy,

Learning Pool have made the Open Text Input component available to anyone, and it's compatible with the authoring tool.  You can view the source code and download it here:

https://github.com/learningpool/adapt-contrib-openTextInput

https://github.com/LearningPool/adapt-contrib-openTextInput/archive/master.zip

Regards,

Brian

Picture of Gareth Walker
by Gareth Walker - Wednesday, 27 April 2016, 1:50 PM

Thanks Brian.

Is there any standard information on how and where a user's submission is saved and how it might be retrieved / fed through somewhere / back to an LMS or equivalent? Apologies if I've missed something in the documentation!

by Tracy Richardson - Thursday, 28 April 2016, 1:28 AM

Thanks so much Brian, I'm not sure why I couldn't find it, but thanks very much for making it available! It's perfect.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 27 April 2016, 8:38 AM

I would also like to do the same thing with the slider component- allow a learner to position a slider and receive generic feedback without an indication of correct or incorrect.

That's exactly what the confidenceSlider component is for; most up to date version at the moment is probably this one.

by Tracy Richardson - Thursday, 28 April 2016, 1:34 AM

Thank you Matt, that's exactly what I need.

I've been using the authoring tool although I had a bit of a play with the framework first. I did try to upload the Confidence Slider plugin to the authoring tool but it failed. (Error: Unrecognized plugin type for package adapt-contrib-confidenceSlider). Is this because it's not configured for the authoring tool yet? Should I build the rest of the content in the authoring tool and build the confidence slider content directly with the framework?

Thank you!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 28 April 2016, 10:30 AM

Hi Tracy

I've made a couple of updates that should make it compatible with the authoring tool...

by Tracy Richardson - Thursday, 28 April 2016, 11:09 PM

Hi Matt, Thanks so much.

I uploaded the plugin into the tool and it loaded fine. I can also configure it in in a block but when I go to preview the course, it returns "Error generating preview, please contact Administrator." I checked I'd populated all fields and the error doesn't occur when I remove the Confidence Slider. 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 3 May 2016, 9:51 AM

Any error details provided?

by Tracy Richardson - Thursday, 5 May 2016, 5:58 AM

Sorry Matt, no error details other than the error notification mentioned- unless there's a way of accessing logged errors that I don't know about?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 5 May 2016, 9:01 AM

Press F12 to show the browser's developer tools. Depends what browser you are using but there should be something in there called 'console', look in there for errors.

Also, it's worth mentioning that you do also have to have the Slider component installed in order for confidenceSlider to work.

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 5 May 2016, 9:27 AM

for Confidence slider

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 5 May 2016, 10:51 AM

Yeah that error strongly suggests you don't have contrib-slider installed.

We're trying to sort out the whole 'dependencies' thing so that this is handled for you - but as you've seen from the problems caused by the latest version of contrib-hotgraphic, we haven't quite got it right yet!!

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 5 May 2016, 3:10 PM

I thought contrib-slider was part of the standard package?

Is it just that it isn't pulling through the slider parts for the build, like the MCQs and Blanks weren't doing for me in the earlier post?

UPDATE : Yes it is - I copied over the contents of :

C:\Adapt\adapt_authoring\plugins\content\component\versions\adapt-contrib-slider\2.0.4\adapt-contrib-slider

to

C:\Adapt\adapt_authoring\temp\5614f85c4bd4be5018026e8f\adapt_framework\src\components\adapt-contrib-slider

and the course launches and the slider works fine.

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 5 May 2016, 2:54 PM

Tracy,

Follow my details in my recent comment on this threa =d on how to copy the files the course needs from the framework store to where they need to be and it should work.

HTH

by Tracy Richardson - Monday, 9 May 2016, 10:59 PM

Thanks very much Helen and Matt. This worked perfectly.