Picture of Matt Leathes
Framework v2.0.9 released!
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 28 April 2016, 3:27 PM

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

Just to let you know that we've released v2.0.9 of the framework! Please test it out, and let us know what you think :)

The big new feature in this version is support for 'locking' on the menu (so requires a menu that supports locking, as v2.0.4 of boxmenu does).

You can find out more about how to set up locking on the wiki.

And of course there are many other improvements and bug fixes - see the release page or the CHANGELOG for a full list of changes.

As ever, if you find any bugs, or have any feature requests, please submit them on GitHub (there's a wiki page with instructions here).

As ever, many thanks to all those who contributed to this release - whose only flaw is that they're just too awesome.

Picture of Arend Raifsnider
Re: Framework v2.0.9 released!
by Arend Raifsnider - Thursday, 28 April 2016, 11:40 PM

Hi Matt,

I seem to be having some trouble. I've been using the previous version with no problem, but when I try to create a course now I'm getting some errors in the console (see screenshot). It seems to be something with the narrative component. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the narrative component, but each time I get a failed to read error with a path that seems to point to the hot graphic. Strange.

Grunt build seems to be working, but when I run grunt server I just see a blank page. Any ideas on what's going on? I have three Adapt modules that I need to build over the next week so I hope I'm able to solve this quickly.

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Friday, 29 April 2016, 10:42 AM

Didn't quite manage to complete the upgrade

Done, without errors.

front-end built.

Adapt authoring tool has been updated.

Upgrading the Adapt Framework...please hold on!
Fetch from GitHub was successful.
Pulling latest changes...
fatal: ambiguous argument 'v2.0.9': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:
'git <command> [<revision>...] -- [<file>...]'

ERROR: 128

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Friday, 29 April 2016, 11:34 AM

Maybe try going to 2.0.8 first, then to 2.0.9?

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Friday, 29 April 2016, 11:23 AM

ENONET usually means you have something open - check you don't have any of those files open - in fact the .bower.json looks like the culprit? Best to close everything else and maybe restart your pc, then try again without having anything open?

by Arend Raifsnider - Friday, 29 April 2016, 3:00 PM

Hi Helen,

I tried that and I still get the same result. When I go to src/components I can see that the folder for the narrative component is empty. All my other component folders only have the bower.json file, so it looks like it's not completing installation of all my components.

Arend

by Arend Raifsnider - Saturday, 30 April 2016, 5:43 PM

We have a suspicion that it may be node related. I'm on v4.4.2, and it appears that I'm unable to change versions. Every time I try to either uninstall my current version or install a new version of node, I receive a message saying, "The Windows Installer could not be accessed." 

by Arend Raifsnider - Sunday, 1 May 2016, 12:47 AM

Ok, it's not my node as I got that reinstalled. My colleague, Laura, tried to download the framework and she's also getting the same ENOENT error on the narrative.

Has this happened to anyone else? It certainly seems like there's a problem with the installation.

Picture of Paul Wakelam
by Paul Wakelam - Sunday, 1 May 2016, 7:51 AM

Hi
I get the same error ENOENT : no such file or directory adapt_contrib-narrative\.bower.json and in the course version as well.
Steps
1. On an new install on windows 10 64 bit following instructions here
https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Setting-up-your-development-environment 

2. I received a warning on npm install adapt -cli -g
* that graceful-fs@1.2.3, 3.08 and 2.03  had been deprecated for Node release > 6.0
* npmconf 2,1,2 this package has reintegrated into npm and now out of date with respect to npm 
It suggested that i "npm ls graceful-fs"  
3. Doing this in C;|Users\Owner I received 
C:\Users|Owner
|- (empty)
npm ERR1 code 1
regards

by Arend Raifsnider - Sunday, 1 May 2016, 8:37 PM

Hi Paul.

Glad to know it's not just us who are experiencing this problem. Laura figured out a solution that works as a stop gap. You have to have a course built in the previous framework version. Ordinarily, attempting to duplicate your course folder will give you a bunch of errors about certain file names being too long. Instead, you can then do the following:

1. Use 7zip to zip the course files, minus the build file.
  2. Extract the files. 
  3. Run grunt build.
  4. Run grunt server.

It worked for me as a temporary fix, so I can finish my project.

Best,

Arend

Picture of nigel delgaudio
by nigel delgaudio - Tuesday, 3 May 2016, 10:27 AM

Exact same issue here, cannot build a new course. It's Issue with the narrative component it seems, upon inspection the narrative folder is empty.

Picture of Carmen Duran
by Carmen Duran - Tuesday, 3 May 2016, 11:13 AM

We get the exact same error message. Starting new courses out of existing ones at the moment does seem to work for now, so we'll continue to do this until this gets fixed.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 3 May 2016, 8:07 PM

Hi everyone

Firstly, huge apologies for the issues you've been having.

The issue that Arend first reported is actually to do with the 'hotgraphic' component which had a dependency to 'narrative' added to its bower.json in the current release - and somehow this dependency checking is breaking everything.

We are looking into this and hope to have a resolution for you very soon.

As well as the workaround of starting new courses out of existing courses, there's another method you can use, which is to follow the process for manual installation, but in step 3. 'Install Module Dependencies' after (or whilst) running $ npm install edit adapt.json and change the line for adapt-contrib-hotgraphic to:

"adapt-contrib-hotgraphic": "v2.0.4",

Once $ npm install has completed, run $ adapt install as per the instructions, everything should download fine. I've tried this several times and it has worked fine.

The issue with the AT failing to upgrade to framework v2.0.9... I'm not sure about this one, I'll have to leave that up to one of the AT people to respond on.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 10 May 2016, 8:52 AM

Right, this should now be fixed as of hotgraphic 2.0.6 and framework 2.0.10

by Arend Raifsnider - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 8:57 PM

Hi Matt. This is the first time I've had to create a new course since your response, but I'm getting a different error now. The course installation seems to work without error, but when I run grunt build I get an "ENOENT: no such file or directory" error that references the accordion component.

This seems unrelated to the previous issue. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 6 July 2016, 8:38 AM

if you look in the src/components folder, is there a folder called adapt-contrib-accordion? And does it contain files?

by Arend Raifsnider - Wednesday, 6 July 2016, 1:16 PM

It does, but it's missing the js folder. Several of the component folders seem to be missing js as well.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 6 July 2016, 2:15 PM

Well, that's why it's erroring then. Not sure how come it got into this state - I did $ adapt create course a few hours ago and everything downloaded fine so I think the CLI is generally working OK

If you haven't got that far with your course you could obviously just delete it and start again (save off src/course if you need to). Or you could manually patch it by grabbing the necessary files from github. Running $ adapt install may also work... that might be worth a try first since it's so easy to do.

by Arend Raifsnider - Wednesday, 6 July 2016, 3:58 PM

This is very strange. It's only certain components and extensions that are missing that js folder (it's also missing from boxMenu). I had Laura test it too, but it worked for her. There must be an issue on my machine. I tried reinstalling node and running npm install adapt-cli -g again but that also produced the same results.

Fortunately, I can just copy the js files from an old course (or better yet, duplicate an entire course). It's very strange, though.

Any idea why it would only be missing certain js folders?

Picture of Gokul Sundaravaradhan
by Gokul Sundaravaradhan - Wednesday, 4 May 2016, 7:12 AM

Could anyone tell me what technology Adapt framework is built on and using which technology it  communicates with MongoDb.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 4 May 2016, 8:57 AM

Adapt framework technology details can be found here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Contributing-code#required

The framework does not communicate with MongoDb; I'm guessing you mean the Authoring Tool. You can find more information about that here: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/the-node-app

by Gokul Sundaravaradhan - Wednesday, 4 May 2016, 10:28 AM

Thanks a lot. That really helped. :)

by Gokul Sundaravaradhan - Wednesday, 4 May 2016, 2:29 PM

The current versions of the tool use BackboneJs. Is there any plan to release a version using AngularJS? Heard this news, but I just want to confirm it. If that happens it will be really helpful for my project!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 4 May 2016, 3:39 PM

No, there are no plans to switch to Angular (that I know of!)

I'm always trying to persuade the team to use TypeScript - so we may well have a look at that, if only to shut me up ;-)

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Monday, 9 May 2016, 11:05 AM

Hi Matt

Can you please remind me how to upgrade a course built in 2.0.0 to 2.0.9?

I'm sure the instructions are somewhere, but I can't find them...

Simon

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 9 May 2016, 2:14 PM

Hi Simon

The way I would probably go about this is by creating a brand new course using the standard procedure, then replacing the src/course folder in the new course with the one from your original course.

You should then install any plugins that aren't part of the core set (you can probably just copy these from your original course).

Finally you can build it via $ grunt build, looking out for any warnings/errors both during the build process and in the course once it's up and running.

FYI we're actually up to v2.10.0 now as there was a problem with v2.0.9 that prevented $ adapt create course from working

Picture of Simon Ray
by Simon Ray - Monday, 9 May 2016, 10:06 PM

Thanks Matt.
Picture of Paul Wakelam
by Paul Wakelam - Monday, 9 May 2016, 11:03 PM

Hi,

I have just started using adapt so I have no original course, so I can't do the work around.What would people suggest?

regards Paul

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 10 May 2016, 8:50 AM

Hi Paul

I posted another workaround here - but since the problem is now fixed you shouldn't need to do this.