Picture of Philip Arnreich
MCQ - amount of selectable answers "MUST" match number of items - untrue?
by Philip Arnreich - Friday, 20 May 2016, 8:20 AM

Hello everyone,

I have created some MCQ questions and in the readme I came across this information: (line 54)
**_selectable** (integer): Defines the number of **_items**, or answers, that can be selected. If the value of **_selectable** is `1`, **_items** will be presented with HTML radio buttons. If the value is greater than `1`, they will be presented with HTML checkboxes. This number must match the number of **_items** whose **_shouldBeSelected** is set to `true`. The default is `1`.

I have conducted some testing and it seems that the number of "selectable" must not necessarily match the number of items which should be selected (last sentence). I can say "selectable" is 5 (when having 5 items) even though only 3 are correct.
I think being free to say how many items the user can select and thus set them to the amount of question items would be preferred behaviour, as otherwise you would already give the info to the learner, how many options are correct.

But just to be sure I wanted to ask, as the line above is formulated so "strictly", as I SHOULD REALLY stick to the instructions. Is there something in the code which might not work? Or was it only formulated to harsh in the readme? (Or do you think the "easy" way of giving the additional information on how many items are correct is the one to be preferred)?

Thanks
Philip

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: MCQ - amount of selectable answers "MUST" match number of items - untrue?
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 20 May 2016, 10:58 AM

Hi Philip

Thanks for that, good spot.

This should read more along the lines of 'this number should match or exceed the number of _items whose _shouldBeSelected is set to true'.

What you don't want to do is make _selectable less than the number of correct items as then it will be impossible for the user to answer the question correctly!

I'll see about getting this changed.

Picture of Philip Arnreich
Re: MCQ - amount of selectable answers "MUST" match number of items - untrue?
by Philip Arnreich - Monday, 23 May 2016, 7:15 AM

Hi Matt,

okay, thank you for your fast response and explanation :) I can rest assured, now.

Best regards
Philip