Picture of Dillon Esterhuizen
Collaborative Working
by Dillon Esterhuizen - Wednesday, 25 May 2016, 12:05 PM

Hi

Adapt is said to be able to be used for collaborative work. So there is a developer install to install Adapt on a server found at https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Install-on-Server. I have installed it on my server, but it's an AWS server. The instructions don't specify whether the server needs to be a local server shared by multiple people, or if it can be a web server so that teams can work wherever they are. My installation is successful but now I need to be able to allow other members to access it via the web. Obviously they can't ssh in, etc, because it should be accessible via the front end for non-technical users.

Let's say that during the installation, I entered the following information:

> Server port (5000) 

> Server name (localhost) adapt-myname

> Database host (localhost) 

> Master database name (adapt-tenant-master) 

> Database server port (27017) 

> Data directory path (data) 

And so on.

My server has a Public IP Address so I tried to connect using "publicIP:5000" and "adapt-myname:5000" but it can't access.

Can anyone please tell me how I can install Adapt on my web server so that other team members can log in via their browser on their own computer? And then I'll also need to get it so that "node server" will run automatically so that I don't have to ssh in and run that every time just so that a member of the team can access the Adapt Authoring Tool.

Picture of Jeff Jones
Re: Collaborative Working
by Jeff Jones - Wednesday, 25 May 2016, 6:51 PM

Don't you have to authorize external access from your AWS account first...? Allow specific ports?

Picture of Dillon Esterhuizen
Re: Collaborative Working
by Dillon Esterhuizen - Thursday, 26 May 2016, 7:32 AM

Yes you do. But then do I have to set up a domain name for the adapt site? So basically I have to setup Adapt on my server like I would a normal website?