Picture of Nick Webb
Conflict between start controller and bookmarking
by Nick Webb - Saturday, 11 June 2016, 9:19 PM

Hi,

Has anyone come across any problems trying to use start controller (native) and bookmarking in the same course.

We have a course with a single start page (forced routing turned off), with Spoor and Bookmarking turned on. But the start page settings and book marking seem to conflict.

The start page is set to optional and loads fine, but if I set "Skip if completed" to true, bookmarking never shows the prompt to the user, and if I set it to false book marking shows but when I go back to the menu from the resumed page it shows the start page first time round.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nick

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Conflict between start controller and bookmarking
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 13 June 2016, 6:38 PM

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I can replicate this

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 14 June 2016, 9:32 AM

OK I just downloaded the framework and used the out-of-the-box content with the following _start settings in course.json:

"_start": {
    "_isEnabled": true,
    "_startIds": [
        {
            "_id": "co-10",
            "_skipIfComplete": true
        }
    ],
    "_force": false
}

On first launch I am taken to co-10. Scroll down to GMCQ (c-65), quit.

Relaunch, bookmarking prompt takes me back to GMCQ. Go back to menu, presentation skills. Scroll down to full-width Graphic component (c-25), quit.

Relaunch, start page is still co-10 because I haven't completed it yet. Bookmarking prompt appears over the top. Clicking yes returns me to c-25. Clicking the course's 'back' button takes me back to co-10, as expected*. I then complete every component on co-10, then go the menu, launch the assessment then scroll down to the first question (c-90) to bookmark it, then quit.

Relaunch, initial page is now the main menu (as the start page is now completed), bookmarking prompt returns me to c-90.

If I do the same tests with _skipIfComplete set to false I get the same behaviour except that co-10 is always shown initially.

All of which seems to be exactly as I'd expect...

* if you want it to take you back to the main menu you need to change the data-event attribute of navigation-back-button to homeButton.

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Tuesday, 14 June 2016, 9:49 AM

OK - thanks Matt - I'll have to go back and have another look through my settings then.

Cheers

Nick

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 3:23 PM

So, it turns out the problem was cause by a z-index value I'd added to the menu-container in our theme.

Bookmarking was rendered but hidden. 

All sorted now.

Thanks for the help.

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 4:04 PM

OK - next problem with bookmarking. Does bookmarking at block level work?

I can get it to return to the correct page but not to the block or component I left. I've turned it on at course and page level. I'm switched back to Vanilla but still can't get it to return to the block.

I'm using the AT btw.

Thanks for any advice.

Nick

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 4:49 PM

it's working for me... I was using block-level bookmarking when testing this for you the other day. Just tried again and it's still working.

FYI you only need to apply it at page level if you want to override what you've set at course level just for that page.

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 6:57 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for investigating. Since you've got it working I did wonder if one of my own extensions might have been conflicting, so I mocked a short one-page course and added in just Spoor, Page-level-progress and Bookmarking.

I have bookmarking on and set to block level, but it is still only returning to the top of the page.

I've attached a zip file with the mocked-up course if you wouldn't mind taking a look and seeing if there's anything I've obviously done wrong?

With this one I've been testing using the scorm_test_harness rather than uploading to an LMS.

Thanks

Nick

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 23 June 2016, 5:09 PM

Hi Nick

I've had a look and spotted the problem - bookmarking is enabled both at the course level and page level - and so the _level setting of "page" at the page level is overriding the setting of "block" at course level.

If I change the page level setting to "block", it all starts working.

I think this is probably down to the way properties.schema is set up - it's causing the authoring tool to add default settings to pages when actually the default should be NOT to add anything to the page (as far as the bookmarking plugin's code is concerned anyway).

Need to have a think about how to deal with this... In the meantime I guess you'll have to configure bookmarking at page level in the AT so as to ensure it's right.

Picture of Nick Webb
by Nick Webb - Thursday, 23 June 2016, 7:50 PM

Thanks Matt,

I did wonder if it was something like that because we have a similar problem with Trickle - the ability to set trickle up at article level and apply to children doesn't seem to work - I was speculating it was because the properties.schema would have applied default settings to the child blocks as well, which are overriding the settings at article level.

Perhaps where properties cascade down like that there is a need to add an _overrideParent attribute on chidren?

Nick