Picture of julie prescott
Publish a course without SCORM
by julie prescott - Friday, 14 February 2014, 2:37 PM

Hi, I have written a course which does not require SCORM for tracking etc. I have looked for guidance on how to build and deploy a SCORM-less course but have not found anything - does this mean it is not possible?

I would also like to find out how to avoid getting the 'could not connect to the LMS' errors when viewing my course via the localhost.

Thanks

Julie

Picture of Kev Adsett
Re: Publish a course without SCORM
by Kev Adsett - Friday, 14 February 2014, 3:20 PM

Hi Julie, it's absolutely possible. The extension required for making a course SCORM-compliant is called Spoor. If you remove adapt-contrib-spoor extension from your course it should run fine.

With regard to your second issue, simply run

$ grunt server-scorm

rather than 

$ grunt server

When serving your course. I hope that helps :)

Picture of Rafael Chaves
by Rafael Chaves - Tuesday, 18 March 2014, 3:32 PM

From what I am seeing, running the server with "grunt server-scorm" is not preventing the error dialog from popping up.

Can anyone else try again and confirm whether it works/doesn't work? I can open a bug if it is shown it is not a PBCAK issue.

The workaround of opening the main.html page instead of index.html did work for me.

Picture of Kev Adsett
by Kev Adsett - Tuesday, 18 March 2014, 4:35 PM

Hi Rafael,

One of the key differences between those two grunt tasks is that the open command that it runs is set to open main.html, not index.html.

You should find that running one of those tasks in your terminal automatically opens your default browser with the correct html file loaded. If this is not the case, it's possible you need to run your terminal as an administrator for it to have access to that ability.

Picture of Rafael Chaves
by Rafael Chaves - Tuesday, 18 March 2014, 4:43 PM

Oh, thanks, Kev, that explains it. I have removed the open tasks as it is a headless (virtual) machine so they would fail as there is no browser or graphical environment.

I will continue to just use the main.html page.

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 9:17 AM

Hi Rafael,

Due to the simplicity of installing and uninstalling plugins I find it so much easier just to run

$ adapt uninstall adapt-contrib-spoor

Whilst developing and testing to have it running non SCORMed, this has the added benifit or not running in an iFrame which affects the responsive layouts when looking at it on devices.

Then simply running

$ adapt install adapt-contrib-spoor

when you want to test on an LMS

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Friday, 14 February 2014, 3:26 PM

Hi Julie,

No, it is possible.  The SCORM files get bundled as part of the build process, but these are not required to view the course.  Have you seen the documentation here

If you don't require SCORM tracking you do not have to run:
grunt tracking-insert

To avoid those LMS errors, if you want to run it in a Node JS server you can just run the following command:
grunt server-scorm

I think there should also be a main.html file included in the build folder too which you can open without requiring an LMS.

Regards,

Brian

by julie prescott - Friday, 14 February 2014, 3:51 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a go :)

by julie prescott - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 9:32 AM

Hi, I am trying to deploy my course onto my webserver. I have built the course and have copied all of the files within my 'build' folder into a folder on the server - ensuring the folder structure remains the same.

However, when I access index.html or main.html all I see is the 'loading' animation and the pages do not load.

As it is a SCORM-less course I havent zipped it up, do I need to? If so, what name do you have to give the .zip file?

Thanks, Julie

Picture of Brian Quinn
by Brian Quinn - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 10:14 AM

Hi Julie,

Can you confirm that the course works locally?  If so, is it possible that some assets (graphics, audio or videos) you course has can no longer be referenced from the server?

If you access your browser's F12 debugging tools, do you see any JavaScript errors in the console?

Thanks,

Brian

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 10:24 AM

Hey Julie,

As JSON is quite a strict data structure you might find that you have invalid JSON - this can cause the course not to load. It seems like you've got the files compiled correctly if you're getting the loading screen.

I would follow Brian's approach and check the developer tools to see any errors. If you have no errors - try putting your json files through something like jsonlint

http://jsonlint.com/

This will pick out any error you have in your data files. On a side to this I will create a fix so in the build process the json files are checked. Will post back here when done.

Thanks,

Daryl 

by julie prescott - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 1:00 PM

Thanks for your help (as always - dont know what I'd do without it!)

I have checked the json files using the validator and all is OK here (thanks for the link btw - very useful).

I have built the course and run locally using grunt server-scorm and all works fine - all images and resources are visible so all the links are fine too.

I have uploaded all files and folders (even the scorm files - although I know they are not necessary) onto my web server and tried to open index.html - still I get the 'loading' animation.

I have run the F12 developer tools and there are no errors and the page source has all loaded ok too.

I am really at a loss as to what I might be doing wrong here as like I said, it runs great on the localhost.

Any further guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Has anyone else deployed a course without SCORM?

Thanks in advance,

Julie

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 1:44 PM

Hey Julie,

Have you tried removing the adapt-contrib-spoor folder from your extensions folder and re-building the course. If there is still a problem would you mind sharing a link: if you want you can email me the link - I understand you might not want to, but it's hard to find a solution without seeing the problem.

Thanks,

Daryl

by julie prescott - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 3:48 PM

Thanks Daryl,

I have removed the adapt-contrib-spoor folder, rebuilt and uploaded - but still not working.

All json files are valid, but thanks for adding the checker routine that'll be great especially for really complex courses which lots of components.

When I figure out where I am going wrong and what you need to do to deploy a SCORM-less course, I will post instructions on the forum for others to use if they need it.

Cheers

Julie

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 5:41 PM

Hi Julie,

If you look at the network tab of your Developer Tools are any files showing as a 404 status code?

If it works okay on the localhost server but not on your production server it may be unable to serve one of the filetypes, which would mean you get a 404 File not Found.

by julie prescott - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 8:52 AM

Chris!! You're an absolute star!!! Found the problem! (sorry for all the exclamations - but you've made my day :-)

Well, in my experience its always something small that causes the big problems and it couldnt find my image files - because they had a capital letter at the beginning! DOH! 

Obviously the localhost server didnt mind this, but the live server did (I should know better!)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Julie (smiling the biggest of smiles right now!)

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 10:51 AM

Hey Julie,

Just a quick update. I have pushed a quick fix commit to the master branch of Adapt. This now includes a JSON lint task before any JSON is copied over to the build folder. This should stop cases where invalid JSON is being used.

If you update your master branch by cloning the repo again. If you want it to work on your current project please copy the Gruntfile.js and package.json files from the master branch (These should be in the root of Adapt). Run:

$ npm install

Then when you run a build command you will have JSON lint checking your JSON files. I've had so many frustrating times with JSON not being valid.

Thanks,

Daryl