Picture of Gou Pil
Publish: needs for special softwares ?
by Gou Pil - Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 3:51 PM

Hi,

I'm absolutely new on this topic, and I read carefully instructions to install the whole software. I was looking at a system like this for a long time. 

But my question is simple : if I want to publish the result, do I need to install software on the host of the files ? Or can I publish with all the files needed to work ?

My question is due by the fact that I'm not sure where I will publish my work in the future. If I have to publish my work on a system like Moodle in my school, may be administrators will say yes (or no). But if I want to publish elsewhere, will it be possible to read it ?

Thanks for reply.

Goupil

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Publish: needs for special softwares ?
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 4:24 PM

Hi Goupil

Courses published from Adapt can currently be published in two different formats.

The most commonly used is SCORM as this enables the content to be installed on any SCORM conformant Learning Management System - and allows the course to store data about what the user has done within the course both for reporting purposes and also so that the user can pick up where they left off in a subsequent session.

You can also publish without SCORM support. Running Adapt output published in this way requires nothing more than a regular web server*. But you will have no tracking.

It would also be possible to publish a course with SCORM enabled - but run it from a web server using the file scorm_test_harness.html - this would trick the course into thinking it's running from a SCORM learning management system when in fact it's just storing all the user's data in cookies. This is really intended more for development purposes than for live use - but it should work OK.

We are currently working on adding support for xAPI to Adapt.

* the web server will need to support all the file types used by Adapt. Adapt mostly uses pretty standard web file types (e.g. HTML/CSS/JS/PNG/GIF/JPEG) but also uses some types that a web servers don't support e.g. JSON support isn't always enabled.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 5:08 PM

sorry, that last sentence should read:

but also uses some types that a few web servers don't support e.g. JSON support isn't always enabled
Picture of Gou Pil
by Gou Pil - Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 6:22 PM

Many thanks for your answers.

I want to publish on internet. I need to get a domain name and a host to publish.

Which is the best LMS for adaptlearning (more compatible or easier ?) ?

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 7:12 PM

From an Adapt perspective, the main thing is to make sure the LMS can cope with responsive content & HTML5. Some Learning Management Systems display the course content using either a frameset (which is not valid HTML5 and therefore can trigger Internet Explorer to drop into compatibility view) or an iframe (which can have problems with responsive content, particularly on iOS).

Assuming you want your content to be available on iOS/Android, you also need to check that the LMS doesn't use Java as that doesn't work on either of those platforms.

SCORM Cloud certainly works fine and I'm pretty sure that any recent versions of Moodle or Totara do too. We have a lot of clients using Cornerstone onDemand and that seems to work very well.

Picture of Gou Pil
by Gou Pil - Saturday, 25 June 2016, 7:45 PM

Hi,

Thank you very much.

Very complete answer.