Picture of Petra Nussdorfer
swf Support
by Petra Nussdorfer - Monday, 17 February 2014, 12:47 PM

I just checked the supported file formats for the media component and I miss swf.

Are there any plans to support swf-files? And if so, will it be possible to
pass values (e.g. scores) to the Framework with an ExternalInterface call?

Best regards,
Petra

Picture of Daryl Hedley
Re: swf Support
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 17 February 2014, 1:37 PM

Hey Petra,

Our media component is strictly for movies/videos and audio. Our current formats are mp4 and ogv for videos. Our flash fallback player takes in the mp4 format.

I would see a component that handles SWF files as a separate component. It would be possible to handle calls from the SWF object to Adapt as we have done something similar with a component containing Captivate.

However you must consider what would this component output on devices that don't support SWF?

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Friday, 28 February 2014, 12:21 PM

Hi Daryl,

Are there any plans to include support to include interaction in the video components? Tools such as Tumult Hype are starting to include the ability to include JavaScript functions in videos which could be very useful for the Adapt media components.

Best,

Mark

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Friday, 28 February 2014, 2:39 PM

Here at SpongeUK we are looking at ways to include interactive video and hypermedia into Adapt, I'm considering building a HapYak component, but this is not likely to be a core component.

There may also be some value in a hosted content component that can display a Flash asset and degrade into some other form of core interaction on device change.

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Friday, 28 February 2014, 4:08 PM

Hi Chris,

Great to hear that as usual SpongeUK is pushing the envelope. I really hope that interactive video and hypermedia is something that the Adapt team will consider in a future version of the Adapt media component. Being able to interact with media would be extremely useful.

Best wishes,

Mark