Picture of elijah jensen
Variables.less
by elijah jensen - Wednesday, 29 June 2016, 11:29 AM

Hey guys,

New to this so bear with me.

I have followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGFAvL-AXk0  and installed git, nodejs, nvm, grunt-cli and adapt-cli. I have created my course and when i make changes to the theme I run:  grunt build then grunt server but nothing has changed? I have also tried grunt watch then making changes but to no avail.

I am following a tutorial on YouTube by adapt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT-KmgAgxuo and basically he opens: /Users/example-user/exapmle-course/src/theme/adapt-contrib-vanilla/less/variables.less but I am unable to find said file?

Could someone please help?

Picture of Simon Date
Re: Variables.less
by Simon Date - Wednesday, 29 June 2016, 11:51 AM

Hi Elijah,

If I understand correctly you only have a grunt task targeted at Authoring Tool. You will also need to run a grunt task within the outputted code if you wish to change the CSS of it.

Hope that helps!

Simon

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 29 June 2016, 2:00 PM

Hi Elijah

The second video you link to is quite old and so references some things which have long since changed. The files you'd mainly change when making simple tweaks to a theme are the four .less files located in src/theme/adapt-contrib-vanilla/less/

Whilst making changes like this I would use $ grunt dev - this will build your course with 'source mapping' enabled so that you can inspect/debug using the browser's developer tools. The dev task will also watch for any changes and rebuild as necessary.

It will still be necessary to reload the course in your browser to pick up the changes (it doesn't do 'live reload') - but if you are using $ grunt server to preview the course it should not be necessary to clear your browser cache to see changes.

Use $ grunt build when you want to produce a version of the course for production (rather than development).

Picture of elijah jensen
by elijah jensen - Wednesday, 29 June 2016, 3:47 PM

Hi Matt,

Awesome thank you.