Picture of Nick Petch
Plugin upload failed | Theme - Adapt Authoring Tool
by Nick Petch - Monday, 4 July 2016, 8:18 AM

Greetings

I have followed all of the instruction and tried multipul times but - I'm unable to upload a custom theme.

I have:

downloaded the direct Vanilla Theme

made .less colour changes

updated the bower.json

Upon trying to upload this this new theme I am getting a "plugin upload error" message. Sometime the theme is uploaded after this message, but then after applying the theme and trying to publish or preview it get the error message of 

Error
Error generating preview, please contact Administrator.

I have attached my edited theme for reference, any help would be highly appreciated. I have searched the forums and many folks are getting this same set of errors, I am unable to find a solution anywhere. 

Am I right in thinking that you can only upload a custom there using the Adapt Framework?

What i have also noticed is that according to the documentation, is that my theme directory content is different and no colour.less file along side others. 

NOTE: I am running locally using Vagrant, Windows, Adapt Authoring Tool

Thanks in advance

Picture of Nick Petch
Re: Plugin upload failed | Theme - Adapt Authoring Tool
by Nick Petch - Monday, 4 July 2016, 8:20 AM

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 4 July 2016, 9:20 AM

Hi Nick

The above screenshot shows the .less files for the authoring tool, not for the vanilla theme.

Have you tested that your updated theme is working and error-free with the framework before uploading it to the authoring tool?

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Monday, 4 July 2016, 9:49 AM

Hi Matt

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting, these are the only .less file existing within my Adapt_master directory. I assumed that if one was to edit and repackage a theme correctly, that upon upload Adapt would unpack it into the Adapt_master directory. So I'm not sure where my theme is located ... 

When you say "Have you tested that your updated theme is working and error-free with the framework before uploading it to the authoring tool?" ...

... are you refering to uploading the "theme.zip" using command line? I did not try this method as I assumed "uploading a plugin" through the Adapt Author would do the same thing. 

Do I need to install the Adapt Frame work? I thought this happened upon installing Adapt Author?

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Monday, 4 July 2016, 9:52 AM

This is my entire Adapt_authoring directory which was install using the command line instructions for a Vagrant set up. 

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Monday, 4 July 2016, 9:57 AM

NOTE: I'm also getting errors uploading any type of plug-in including "Registered" plugins from Adapt Download such as "Reveal". Upon trying to upload it receive the error message of" 

Error

An error occurred while getting schemas.

"

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 4 July 2016, 10:34 AM

Hi Nick

If you're making any sort of functional changes to the core code, components, extensions, menus or theme it's highly recommended that you do all your development and testing with the Framework itself before attempting to upload them into the Authoring Tool. This is mainly because it's easier to both spot and resolve errors when working directly with the Framework.

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 5:54 AM

Hi Matt

If you don't mind me bothering you again...

I have installed the Adapt Frame work, backed up the original theme and edited the installed one. No major changes apart from the Font, Padding and Colours, Plus some new "Theme_extra" classes for later use in the Author.

Authoring Tool

Upon trying to upload the .zip I receive an error of "Plugin upload failed". I have followed all of the instructions provided including the bower.json .

Adapt Framework

As a test, I have tried to uninstall the default theme and install my theme and I receive the following CMD line error:

C:\adapt_framework_master\adapt_framework-master\adapt_framework-master\adapt_fr
amework-master>adapt uninstall contrib-vanilla
Oh dear, something went wrong. Failed to execute "git ls-remote --tags --heads g
it://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-vanilla.git", exit code of #128

C:\adapt_framework_master\adapt_framework-master\adapt_framework-master\adapt_fr
amework-master>adapt install adapt-contrib-Bupa_v001
The plugin adapt-contrib-Bupa_v001 is not compatible with this version of Adapt.
Installing it may cause unexpected behaviour.
Confirm Install this plugin anyway? (n) y
Oh dear, something went wrong. Request to http://adapt-bower-repository.herokuap
p.com/packages/adapt-contrib-Bupa_v001 failed: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND adapt-bower
-repository.herokuapp.com adapt-bower-repository.herokuapp.com:80

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

I can confirm that my theme has been tested and is working error free in Adapt Framework, I have attached it.

Thanks in advance

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 7:07 AM

PS.. Following some other posts, 

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1394

I have updated and changed my permissions to the Adapt Root directory for full access. I'm still getting the same result. 

again, many thanks in advance for any help.

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 9:35 AM

Just doing some more testing here, I have changed the environment and installed an instance of Adapt Author on OSX using the Vagrant set up (The MongoDB set up could not connect to the localhost:5000 ??)  

Once installed, I then shot over and downloaded the adapt-contrib-reveal.zip from git and tried to upload it to the author and I receive this message (.zip attached): 

Error

An error occurred while getting schemas.

Upon inserting this into a block I receive:

Cannot read property '_extensions' of undefined

Next - 

I installed the same plugin using the Adapt cli and it is functioning as desired *IF* I disable it in the extension manager, but this may be because the original errored plugin populated in there upon the first upload. 

So i'm starting to think that maybe I am experiencing some kind of glitch uploading plugin via my Author GUI. 

I will keep testing a reporting away, please let me know if there is a better way than to keep posting here.

Awesome Tool - the best there is even - I really hope to get it up and running so I can deploy it :)

Cheers

Nick

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 9:38 AM

Update:

I can confirm that plugins are uploading and function as desired if it is done via the Adapt cli

i.e..

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:adapt_authoring-master nicholaspetch$ sudo adapt install adapt-contrib-glossary

Password:

adapt-contrib-glossary found. Installing extension ...

adapt-contrib-glossary has been installed successfully.

Nicholass-MacBook-Pro:adapt_authoring-master nicholaspetch$ 

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 9:39 AM

Hi Nick,

It looks like there's a problem with the schema for your custom theme. Could you attach that here?

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 10:15 AM

Hi Tom

Thanks for getting back, theme attached.

Cheers

Nick

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 11:56 AM

Hi Tom

I have just noticed that even though CMD line reported a successful install of Adapt-contrib- plugin's - they are not populating into my adapt author in anyway. It tried a vagrant reload and received the same result.

I can confirm that this is happening in both vagrant environments I have set up in windows and OSX. 

Sorry for the issues and thanks in advance.

Nick

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 12:09 PM

I should add that after reading 

https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1437

that the flip card and reveal plugins are valid and containing "properties.schema'

As mentioned, I just tried to up load both of these via Adapt cli which reported back a successful install. But then they don't populate into the AT.

Thanks again

Nick

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 12:22 PM

The good news: the theme is fine (and has been confirmed working by a colleague).

The bad news: the problem must lie in your tool environment.

First thing to note is that the adapt-CLI is not for use with the authoring tool; it's intended for standalone development with the framework only. With regards to you installing the extension with the CLI, I think the message you read was misleading, this probably only means that it's been downloaded into a local folder.

The only way to install plugins for use in the authoring tool is to use the Plugin manager in the interface.

Also note that If you're using vagrant, then the code will be copied into a sandboxed, virtual environment (which is inaccessible to you). The only way to access these files on Windows is via the command line (have a look at this post for instructions on doing this).

Do you get any errors in the command prompt when you get that error popup?

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 12:32 PM

Okay

No errors populate in the Command prompt - I looked into this today because I don't seem to get any command prompt read backs when operating the AT or Framework...

Thanks for the info - I will read this post and try to get things happening on my end. 

Picture of Nick Petch
by Nick Petch - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 12:41 PM

Sorry I should quickly ask, is it any easier to access the sandbox file on OSX?

or

Is there a specific set up you would recommend to make things easier ? Like the Server set up? 

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Tuesday, 5 July 2016, 3:19 PM

I believe you do have access to the files on OS X, although they're hidden away in the system folders somewhere.

Using the server install lets you access and modify the files directly, although this means that you're much more susceptible to breaking things yourself. You also need more technical knowhow to get things off the ground as there are several dependencies you need to work with (node, npm, mongo, grunt).