Picture of Giorgio Pandiani
IE 11 freezes on loading course
by Giorgio Pandiani - Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 8:36 AM

Hello everybody,

I’m using adapt framework 1.0.8 and I’ve a problem with Internet Explorer 11 (and Edge).

I have a course containing 160 components, divided into 9 pages.

On entering the course, Explorer freezes on the loading page. It seems that the process of checking the completion of the components by the Spoor plugin is causing this freezing.

IE 11 (and Edge) needs 3 minutes to open the course, while Firefox, Chrome and Safari take only 3 seconds!

This is an example of the “suspend-data” of the course:

{"completion":"-111111111111111111111111111111111111001000111111111100001111111111111111111110000","questions":"ECIXogmIAD0BMQ4MfCgEXogmIAEEBMQ4MfCgBXogmIAEQBMQ4MfCgB","_isCourseComplete":false,"_isAssessmentPassed":false}

The more “1” we have, the more IE11 is slow on entering the course.

With all “0” (nothing is completed) the course opens just fine, in a second.

With all “1” (everything is completed) IE11 freezes and the course opens in 3 minutes…

Any suggestions?

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: IE 11 freezes on loading course
by Brian Quinn - Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 11:41 AM

Hi Giorgio,

Version 1.0.8 was some time ago.  I'd recommend updating if at all possible.

However, in relation to your issue, a few performance issues with the Spoor plugin have been identified (see: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-spoor/pulls) and are due for release possibly with the next version of the Adapt Framework.  If you're comfortable you could try applying the patches detailed in those outstanding pull requests to see if it i improves things for you.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Picture of Giorgio Pandiani
by Giorgio Pandiani - Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 1:12 PM

Hi Brian,

thank you for your quick reply.

The framework version is 2.0.8, my mistake.

We have already tried to apply the patches you mention, unfortunately they didn’t solve the problem.

We’ve also looked into the Spoor code, searching for the cause of IE11 freezing, with no luck so far…

Is there something else we could try while waiting for Adapt next release?

Giorgio

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 3:09 PM

With particular respect to PR #130, could you make sure it's changing the tracking behaviour as documented in the pull request? If not, it may be that the patch hasn't been correctly applied* - or you're not getting it updated on the LMS (through not clearing browser cache, for example?).

This just seems like the most likely cause of the problem. Pretty much every course we build will have IE11 in spec and we've not seen anything else cause this sort of delay when restoring a course's tracking in IE11.

* it might help to turn on Adapt's SCORM debugger, which can be done using the _showDebugWindow setting.