Picture of Sonya Chénard
WCAG compliance
by Sonya Chénard - Thursday, 11 August 2016, 3:50 PM

Hello,

in my organisation, we need to be fully WCAG 2.0 compliant.

For screenreaders, we need to be able to browse the content with a keyboard. The problem: When reaching the bottom of a page and then using the SHIFT+TAB keys on keyboard results in a endless loop. Anyone encoutered the same problem and have a solution?

Thank you!

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: WCAG compliance
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 12 August 2016, 9:56 AM

Hi Sonya

I don't seem to be able to replicate this, could you give me a bit more detail?

I just did the following tests, using a clean copy of the current framework & core plugins:

• load course in Firefox (v48)
  • press TAB then ENTER to turn accessibility on
  • tab through the page to the 'end of menu' arial-label
  • press SHIFT+TAB
  • check focus is on the 'Adapt Assessment' menu item's progress bar aria-label, as expected
  • tab to Presentation Components menu item, press ENTER
  • tab through the Presentation Components page to the 'end of page' aria-label
  • press SHIFT+TAB
  • check focus is on the 'completion state' aria-label for the Accordion component, as expected
Picture of Sonya Chénard
by Sonya Chénard - Friday, 12 August 2016, 1:59 PM

Hello,

we cannot enable the accessibility or screenreader support within Adapt. We want to use as is without enabling those options. Usually, the code itself should be accessible for screenreaders without adding any extra tabindexes and so on.

However, if I Use Chrome and have a simple course(vanilla core theme with a text block with a link inside the component), when focus is on the 'navigation-back-button' and we press SHIFT-TAB again and again the focus never goes into the content.

Is this behaviour part of some javascript inside the framework?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 12 August 2016, 4:03 PM

"Usually, the code itself should be accessible for screenreaders without adding any extra tabindexes and so on"

To a certain extent, but we've found that we can create a much better experience for screenreader users this way, giving them far more information about what's going on and where they are on screen without also creating distracting effects for non-screenreader users.

I've just given what you describe a try and get slightly different results... if I SHIFT-TAB back from the course's back button it goes back button > address bar > site information button > course back button > address bar > site information button and so on. The only way to break out of this is to press TAB once I'm back on the course's back button.

Picture of Sonya Chénard
by Sonya Chénard - Friday, 12 August 2016, 5:39 PM

is there a way to disable the jquery.a11y.js altogether? Our team has found that we cannot use it as is.

It fails at least one requirement : having invisible text that is keyboard focusable is a failure under 2.4.7, more specifically it would fail F78 (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/F78.html). 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 15 August 2016, 8:51 AM

Hi Sonya

One of my colleagues just posted in the group chat: "I need to give us a way to turn jquery.a11y off completely"

So I think we can infer that there currently isn't a way to turn it off but hopefully there soon will be.

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Monday, 15 August 2016, 10:22 AM

Hi Sonya,

Adapt conforms to F78 in part, which is about the orange focus rectangle and says nothing about invisible text. It does say that the focus rectangle can not be hidden, which it is when accessibility mode isn't on. I'll put an issue on the code and get a fix arranged.

With regards to turning jquery.a11y off - there are a few parts we need to execute which I'll put into play. It will probably take about a month + a half to complete. If you need more information feel free to contact me at oliver.foster@kineo.com .

Thanks for your input.

Ollie.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 15 August 2016, 11:11 AM

We've also set up a chat room dedicated to accessibility here: https://gitter.im/adaptlearning/accessibility

Picture of Sonya Chénard
by Sonya Chénard - Monday, 15 August 2016, 1:11 PM

thanks a lot for your replies!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 15 August 2016, 1:59 PM

No problem at all, it's really useful for us to get feedback on accessibility in Adapt so thank you