Picture of Dan Gray
Accessibility
by Dan Gray - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 3:44 PM

Is/will the framework and authoring tool be compliant with accessibility guidelines, e.g. WCAG 2.0?

Paul Welch
Re: Accessibility
by Paul Welch - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 8:36 PM

Hi Dan,

Yes, we'll be looking to meet WCAG 2.0 guidelines (and in fact we already do in some instances). We'll be discussing to what level within this community forum, but i'm sure we'll be striving to reach AA wherever possible.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Welch
by Paul Welch - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 8:35 PM

Hi,

Be good to get a discussion going about what level of support we're aiming to achieve for the various categories as outlined in the WCAG 2.0 guidelines.

I'd imagine that A or AA will be the target for most, but some I suspect are definitely achievable up to AAA. For example,

2.1.3 Keyboard (No Exception): All functionality of the content is operable through a keyboard interface without requiring specific timings for individual keystrokes. (Level AAA)

And

2.3.2 Three Flashes: Web pages do not contain anything that flashes more than three times in any one second period. (Level AAA)

I'll have a think about the guidelines and reflect on what might be a sensible starting point and post again soon.

Thanks,

Paul

Picture of Neil Hone
by Neil Hone - Friday, 7 March 2014, 3:30 AM

Hi, 

I imagine for many of us working in the public sector AA or AAA is the ideal. I'd be very happy if the base and core components were AA at minimum.  

It may be an idea to have an AA or AAA WGAG 2.0 branch or, having a compliant core, identify the level of accessibility for add-ons in their repositories or readme files.

Cheers,

Neil