Picture of Cormac O'Keeffe
Open Text - now stored in LMS
by Cormac O'Keeffe - Tuesday, 23 August 2016, 12:47 PM

Hi, 

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone hadn't see it:

https://github.com/LearningPool/adapt-contrib-openTextInput

Learning Pool have updated the Open Text Input component so that it now stores the learner's response in the LMS. I've tested it with Docebo and it works perfectly (cf. screenshot_596)! 

A big thanks to Learning Pool!

All the bet, 

Cormac

Picture of Paul Steven
Re: Open Text - now stored in LMS
by Paul Steven - Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 1:32 PM

That's great news - thanks for letting us know.

Out of interest, what is the maximum amount of text the LMS will store for each Open Text field?

Picture of Louise Bennett
by Louise Bennett - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 10:31 AM

It looks like a 255 character length limit. Better than nothing, but still not idea for - for example - paragraphs of text.

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 11:23 AM

Thanks Louise - that is good to know but does seem too limiting for my needs on an up and coming project,

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 11:40 AM

Louise is right - it's set to 'fill-in' type which is 'Any alpha-numeric string up to 255 characters in length.'

Unfortunately SCORM 1.2 is quite limiting in this regard.

If your LMS supports SCORM 2004 you could change the type to 'long-fill-in' which allows for 4000 characters of storage - however, this would involve also making updates to adapt-contrib-spoor's wrapper.js to include support for this interaction type. That would be pretty much just a copy-and-paste job though.

It should also be noted that this feature relies on the LMS having support for cmi.interactions, which not all will do.

It's also got nothing to do with storing the text so that it can be displayed again in a subsequent session - that appears to be handled completely separately and uses localStorage to do so - which means its not subject to the limitations of the LMS, but does mean the data is stored only on the PC/device, so if the user moves to another PC/device they won't get their previous input text.