Picture of David Galvin
Getting started with the authoring tool
by David Galvin - Tuesday, 23 August 2016, 7:13 PM

Hi,

I have just installed the authoring tool, and I'm looking forward to getting started. Are there any other training resources available that anyone knows of? I've had a look on YouTube and few other sites, but not seeing anything too comprehensive. 

Thanks in advance. 

Picture of Derek Chirnside
Re: Getting started with the authoring tool
by Derek Chirnside - Tuesday, 23 August 2016, 11:35 PM

Have you checked out the written help in the GIT wiki?

Have a look at a few posts here in the forums as well, If you like I can create a few links.  The challenge with the documentation and the posts here is that often the framework and builder are not distinguished clearly.

My advice David:

1. Start with a few simple pages.  Get the menu working.
  2. Prepare your images: you will need big ones (1024px) small ones and skinny ones - for the different purposes.
  3. Once you have made three pages, practice the preview and download and deply.  Check that this is working.  There may be problems here (as we see with Troy's post here: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1559)

And if course we can flesh this out a bit more if you like.

Good luck.

-Derek

Picture of David Galvin
by David Galvin - Wednesday, 24 August 2016, 8:10 AM

Hi Derek

Thanks for your information. I will take a look at the GIT wiki, as per your suggestion. A few links to other posts would be great. 

I think trying things out and learning as you go is probably the best way. My ultimate aim is to build SCORM compliant courses (as I have been doing using Storyline and Captivate).The responsive element to building courses using Adapt is key though, that's why I'm here.

Publishing to SCORM is the next challenge, and changing themes.

Many thanks

Dave 

Picture of Craig Mueller
by Craig Mueller - Saturday, 3 December 2016, 4:55 PM

Here is a bit more info on this topic, with some links to resources to help jump start Developers who are new to the Adapt Authoring tool (these links/hints are not geared for Code Developers working with the Adapt Framework).

• Webinar
    Check out the other videos from the producer of the video above... these folks seem to be building a helpful video library online. These webinars appear to be 'Demonstrative Marketing' materials, but helpful nonetheless. (Note: I have no connection with these folks, and am not endorsing... their videos do address this issue, though.)
  • GitHub Wiki (Authoring tool... referenced in Derek's response above. I wasn't able to find much other help here - aside from linking to this forum, which is helpful!).

• Short course building demo.

I think it would be great to build/post 'How To' videos to instruct on how Designers can build the Adapt Demo Courses:

I will try to put something together on one of those, and post below when complete. If anyone else has something... please post here. Many Thanks!

Picture of Christian Lee
by Christian Lee - Wednesday, 21 December 2016, 11:45 AM

Hi, I've created an intro to the authoring tool. It's from an e-learning designers viewpoint and show the tips and tricks I've found.

• Using the Background switcher theme
  • Using components (text entry questions)
  • positioning of items in Blocks (Visual design)
  • How to add components

Hopefully you'll find it of some use, I'll be doing a pt2 soon

https://youtu.be/5myx9ECp3dg

Chris

Picture of Craig Mueller
by Craig Mueller - Wednesday, 21 December 2016, 3:33 PM

Nice work Christian!