Picture of David Galvin
Vagrant install, folders missing and themes not uploading
by David Galvin - Friday, 2 September 2016, 9:27 AM

Hi,

I have installed the authoring tool using vagrant. All seems to be working fine - I have published some test courses etc - apart from when I want to edit a theme and upload it via the plugin manager. I get an error message. I was talking to another user recently, who was able to upload the theme into her authoring tool (this was a manual install of the tool), so we knew theme was configured ok. During that conversation, we noted that I was missing a couple of elements in my adapt_authoring folder. I don't have a temp folder, and I don't have a versions folder in my plugins folder. I gather that this is where the themes are stored. 

Are the end results of the vagrant install and manual install different?

Are there limitations with the vagrant install?

Is there a different way to add themes with the vagrant install?

I have added a couple of screenshots of what I have installed for reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David

Picture of Thomas Berger
Re: Vagrant install, folders missing and themes not uploading
by Thomas Berger - Monday, 5 September 2016, 8:37 AM

Hello David!

When you install the authoring tool with vagrant on windows all data is actually stored inside a virtual machine. So some data, like the temp folder, can't be accessed from your Windows Explorer directly. To access this file you must connect to the VM. 

We do not recommend vagrant for production. The main goal is to get you startet quickly without installing everything manually.

Installing themes is the same approach as with a normal installation. However debugging on vagrant is much harder because it abstracts some parts away.

I recommend you to install the tool with the server option.

I hope this was useful.

Thomas

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 5 September 2016, 9:02 AM

Thanks Thomas - I think it will be easier for me to help him and others too if they install the way I did! I'll check and see if he's managed the server install. That clears things up for me too as I've not experienced the Vagrant install myself - at least I know a bit more about it now.

Picture of David Galvin
by David Galvin - Monday, 5 September 2016, 9:49 AM

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your response, and confirming a few things for me. I will endeavour to install the server version.

Regards

David

Picture of lizzie wakefield
by lizzie wakefield - Monday, 5 September 2016, 12:49 PM

hi I am having problems with the vagrant install - I am not a techie so was not sure about doing the server install, but now i have read your message saying that vagrant shouldn't be used for production I am a bit confused.

I wanted to learn about how to use adapt and start building courses with it.

(I have placed the next discussion topic up - about installation as I have accidentally deleted a folder, and am unsure how to open adapt again now)

cheers for any help you can give

Lizzie