Picture of Dean Wilson
Can Adapt pass data into a database?
by Dean Wilson - Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:01 AM

Hi everyone

I have a question about the fundamental mechanics of Adapt. 

Can you pass data out of an Adapt course into a database?

If for example, a user logs into our website (not an LMS), completes one of our courses that we built in Adapt, could we then pass that data into a database, and use that database to update the user profile that this module has been completed?

I'm not asking for full explanation of HOW to do it at this point, I'd just like to know if it's possible.

Many thanks

Dean

Picture of Brian Quinn
Re: Can Adapt pass data into a database?
by Brian Quinn - Monday, 12 September 2016, 1:03 PM

Dean,

Architecturally the place to update your database would be in your website which is hosting the Adapt content, not the Adapt content itself.  Adapt is SCORM 1.2 compliant so your website should be able to listen to completed events and act accordingly.

I would not recommend this even attempting to pass the data to a DB from Adapt content.

Brian

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Can Adapt pass data into a database?
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 12 September 2016, 1:20 PM

Yes, this is certainly possible - effectively this is exactly how SCORM functions, though in a more roundabout matter and with far more functionality than just registering completion: for example SCORM provides a mechanism that allows courses to store the internal tracking state of the course (known as 'suspend data') to allow the user to quit the course at any point and resume later at the point they left off.

These lines in the spoor extension show the underlying logic of determining and recording completion.