Picture of mark cunnungs
Tool Specs
by mark cunnungs - Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 2:25 PM

Hi,

I am currently in the process of getting my company to install the adapt tool on our web server.  Our I.T guys have asked me for a few details which I hope you can clear up for me. (our IT is not very helpful and so I can't ask them to find this stuff out for themselves, unfortunately).

I am just looking to run one instance of the authoring tool with 3-4 users.

Email fom it below:

VirtualBox is not an option but we can provide access to Virtual server-hosted environment on our VMware estate. For us to be able to assist further, please can you provide us with the following information to help us provide you with appropriate resources

• How many Servers do you require? (Windows server 2012r2 is our current offering)
    • How many CPU cores per server ( 1 to 2 cpu cores is default)
    • How much memory, per server (2 to 4GB default)
    • How much disk space is required (not including space for O/S)

Additional Questions

• Source code management. Where will source code be stored and version managed. Are there any service level/audit requirements for data retention? How will this be managed?

• Please ensure the above information includes the Web server/SCORM server requirement. Who will administer/responsible for the management of the Web server? If this is Microsoft IIS, please specify in the requirements

This is all over my head so I was wondering if some bright sparks on here could help me draft my response. FYI we are quite a big company and so not a lot of wiggle room I.T wise.

Aniket Dharia
Re: Tool Specs
by Aniket Dharia - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 8:35 AM

Hi Mark - 

I will try to take a shot at the questions you have asked. For others please correct if I am wrong.. :)

• How many Servers do you require? (Windows server 2012r2 is our current offering) --> 1
  • How many CPU cores per server ( 1 to 2 cpu cores is default) --> 1 Core
  • How much memory, per server (2 to 4GB default) --> 2 to 4 GB should be suffice
  • How much disk space is required (not including space for O/S) --> This depends on the amount of courses the users are going to create. But it can be anything from 4 GB to 20 GB. As this disk space includes both assets as well as the mongoDB data.

Additional Questions

• Source code management. Where will source code be stored and version managed. Are there any service level/audit requirements for data retention? How will this be managed? --> The source code will be stored in the folder where you install it, if you wish to stick with the OS version and have upgrades, please use GIT to clone the master into the folder. This will help you upgrade when there is a new release. There are no SLAs for OS version but each of us collaborators have their own version of AT with minor differences you can choose to go with anyone of them and they do have SLAs and data retention policies.
  • Please ensure the above information includes the Web server/SCORM server requirement. Who will administer/responsible for the management of the Web server? If this is Microsoft IIS, please specify in the requirements--> The node server will manage itself. You would just need the IIS and Firewall to redirect to the right URL and port. Basically manage the DNS entries in IIS in order for user to get access with the URL you desire. (I didn't understand SCORM server requirement. Can you elaborate?)

Do let me know if the above responses help. If not, please shoot the questions you would like to get answered.

Cheers!

Aniket

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 9:21 AM

You won't need IIS because the authoring tool comes with a node-based web server. As Aniket points out, you just need to manage ports/firewall/forwarding so that the authoring tool web server can be accessed remotely.

Assuming 'SCORM server' means 'Learning Management System', you don't need one installed on the same server as the authoring tool. The authoring tool is for authoring e-learning content, not for delivering e-learning content to users.

Picture of mark cunnungs
by mark cunnungs - Sunday, 25 September 2016, 8:29 PM

Thanks Guys this is great. 

I.T. guys went away without any further questions so I assume you nailed it.