Picture of Stephen Harlow
Cloud hosted Authoring Tool
by Stephen Harlow - Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 9:37 AM

Help!

I'm trying to move the Authoring Tool into the cloud, specifically an Azure VM. I followed the server install instructions and, after a little massaging for Ubuntu, all seemed to configure well with the default options. (I judge that on getting "Done, without errors" after running node install.)

Then when I ran node server, the server starts and begins listening on port 5000 as expected, however, I cannot connect to the Authoring Tool by simply entering the IP address of the VM into a browser, i.e., x.x.x.x:5000.

Am I missing something? I ran netstat -plnt and the server is indeed listening on port 5000.

Aniket Dharia
Re: Cloud hosted Authoring Tool
by Aniket Dharia - Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 12:22 PM

There is an option to add a port in the endpoints and enable TCP. Find below the screenshot.

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 12:24 PM

Also add TCP port 5000 in there.. I have removed all the information about our installation. :)

Picture of Stephen Harlow
by Stephen Harlow - Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 11:25 PM

Wonderful, thanks Aniket. I wondered whether it was a port opening issue. If others are trying to host the Authoring Tool in Azure be aware that the Azure portal has changed (my, presumably newer, portal looks a little different to Aniket's screenshot above) however, Michael Sync answered my next question: Where is the EndPoint setting for VM in new Azure portal?

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 7:56 AM

Hi Stephen - 

The UI has changed due to which the portal seems different. I am glad it helped. 

Cheers!

Aniket