Picture of Tariq Aziz
Is offline version of the course using SCORM/Xapi
by Tariq Aziz - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 5:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have just creating a course which is online now. However my client needs an offline version of the course, which runs on local and store user answers to online when internet connected (Not sure if it is possible or not). So I search the adapt forum. I found that Xapi is something that I need. However the component available for Xapi is currently in pre-Alpha stage and is not ready for production use (https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-xapi). Also I found that last commit is 5 months old on git for this component.

I also found that other developers are working on it, but I am unable to find some stable version of it. It seems like Adapt developers are still working on it.

I also found that using Spoor component I can connect the course to LMS but as per my understanding Spoor which using SCORM api do not support offline storage to LMS.

Also when I run the build of the course offline, the videos streaming from Vimeo are not running (Maybe my setup have some issue or I am missing something). If anybody done such work please share with me, Any Help regarding these issues will be greatly appreciated..

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Is offline version of the course using SCORM/Xapi
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 5:55 PM

Hi Tariq

If by 'offline' you mean 'without being connected to the Internet' - then the Vimeo videos are not streaming because you have no Internet connection.

You also need to check if your client's LMS has support for xAPI or not. If it does not then you are not going to get anywhere with xAPI in Adapt because it will have nothing to track the data back to.

Picture of Tariq Aziz
by Tariq Aziz - Thursday, 22 September 2016, 6:59 PM

Hi Matt,

I have internet connectivity but the vidoes are not available. Anyway it is another discussion. We are thinking to provide different version for offline users, where we can upload the videos to the course. But it all depends on if xAPI runs successfully.

We are free to use any LRS, but before going for xAPI component I want to confirm that it will help us in these circumstances?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 23 September 2016, 8:55 AM

So when you say 'run the build of the course offline' - what do you mean by that?

Yes xAPI makes it possible to do 'occasionally connected' tracking, unfortunately what it doesn't do is make it easy ;-)

Work on xAPI for Adapt has just restarted - we actually had a call about it yesterday. If you would like to get involved then please do join the gitter chat. At the moment we are working out details of what should be in the initial release so that we can figure out what we need to do to get to that point. I'm afraid 'occasionally connected' tracking is not on that immediate roadmap.

Picture of Tariq Aziz
by Tariq Aziz - Friday, 23 September 2016, 9:59 AM

Thanks Matt for a quick Help. I will follow the gitter chat.

Picture of Melissa Milloway
by Melissa Milloway - Friday, 23 September 2016, 3:25 AM

You have to make sure you put just the URL for the video and then put the type exactly as it says in the Type i.e for Vimeo it is video/vimeo. I ran into that issue before.

Picture of Melissa Milloway
by Melissa Milloway - Friday, 23 September 2016, 3:32 AM

Here is the Vimeo version. Pretty good.