Mark
Audio and Adapt
by Mark Lynch - Thursday, 27 February 2014, 4:18 PM

Audio and Adapt - does anyone have any ideas on how this should work in the deep scrolling world that is adapt

Do we force a user to click on the audio icon (nasty)

Control the users navigation like an old page turning piece of e-learning

Use the trickle component somehow?

Something else?

Paul Welch
Re: Audio and Adapt
by Paul Welch - Thursday, 27 February 2014, 5:11 PM

Just to get the discussion going, Mark:

• Audio plays on Block load via some user controlled event. Say Trickle as you suggest (accompanied by a discrete transcript feature)
  • Audio manager which sits outside of the page (say in the top bar) which has controls/transcript feature and which plays an audio file for each block as it loads
  • Play audio when block scrolls into view and then stop if not complete stops when block is scrolled out of view – I can imagine that being fraught with trouble, mind.
  • Media component triggered and automatically plays when scrolled into view
Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 28 February 2014, 9:52 AM

One thing to note - Safari on iOS does not allow you to play audio without the user having first instigated it via a touch or click event.

I think the user only has to do this once and thereafter you can play audio without user intervention - would need to check this, though.

Also need to check whether same restrictions apply to video - I suspect they do.

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Friday, 28 February 2014, 10:37 AM

That's also becoming true of other browsers i.e. Safari on OS X so a visible trigger would probably always have to be available