Picture of Chris Gillison
How to install plugins for dummies!
by Chris Gillison - Friday, 30 September 2016, 4:45 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the adapt-dragdrop plugin. With the command line pointing to my adapt repository I typed 'adapt install adapt-dragdrop'. The command line said it had been installed, but when I log in to the adapt authoring tool on localhost:5000 the plugin isn't showing up in the list. What am I doing wrong?!

(The other plugins I've installed I have downloaded from github and then uploaded them using the authoring tool, but the github plugin home page link is broken so I couldn't do it that way).

I attach a screnshot of the command line.

Many thanks in advance.

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: How to install plugins for dummies!
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 30 September 2016, 5:37 PM

the github plugin home page link is broken so I couldn't do it that way

I found the correct link for you: https://github.com/KevCJones/adapt-dragdrop

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the author has made it authoring tool compatible - there's no properties.schema file.

by Chris Gillison - Friday, 30 September 2016, 6:11 PM

Thanks Matt.

Yes, I found that, but the last update was back in July last year, and the tech forum discussions on this plugin are much more up to date.

Anyone able to assist with the adapt install adapt-dragdrop method?

Picture of Mike Stevens
by Mike Stevens - Friday, 30 September 2016, 6:14 PM

Hi, just noticed your post you could try the drap and drop I modified for the authoring tool it may work for what you need...

https://github.com/mike-st/adapt-dragAndDrop

by Chris Gillison - Friday, 30 September 2016, 6:45 PM

Thanks Mike! I'll take a look. Much appreciated.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 30 September 2016, 7:02 PM

Yeah I think most of the discussions I have seen on here about drag and drop refer to the plugin Mike mentions

by Chris Gillison - Tuesday, 4 October 2016, 9:39 AM

Hi everyone.

I'm re-opening this thread as I still seem to be getting nowhere fast installing (and then using) plugins! Please could someone help me?

I downloaded adapt-article-reveal from github (https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-article-reveal). When I then tried to upload it using the authoring tool I got the error message: 'Plugin upload failed. Package does not contain a schema.'

So I then tried to install it using the command line using 'adapt install adapt-article-reveal'. The component was 'found' and then 'installed successfully' and has appeared at the location adapt_authoring\src\extensions\adapt-article-reveal.

What now?! It's not appearing in the authoring tool, so how can I use it? Is the idea that some of these plugins are inserted manually (i.e. not via the authoring tool)? I tried downloading my project and manually inserting the 'example.json' code into my 'articles.json' but it didn't seem to do anything.

Please help!

Many thanks, Chris

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 4 October 2016, 10:42 AM

Hi Chris

Not all plugins you'll find in the community have been set up to work with the authoring tool.

As it mentions on the authoring tool's plugin management wiki page, you should:

Make sure that the plugin you're attempting to install is authoring tool-compatible: check that it has a properties.schema file in the plugin folders' root.

If you find a plugin that does not have a properties.schema you can either log a ticket with the plugin developer and wait for them to create one - or just make one yourself (and contribute it back so that everyone else can benefit!). There's a guide to making them here and of course you can just look at/copy existing ones.

by Chris Gillison - Tuesday, 4 October 2016, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the clarification Matt.

Make a properties.schema. Now there's a challenge! I'm a complete noob with JSON, so maybe this is a good way to get learning.