Picture of Sheryl Ann Lim
Error installing Adapt CLI
by Sheryl Ann Lim - Sunday, 2 March 2014, 10:52 AM

Hi, I am hoping to get some guidance on installing Adapt framework. I installed Github and NodeJS for OSX 10.9 without issues.

Tried to run $ npm install adapt-cli -g (added sudo as prefix since global command requires administrator permission).

The installation get an error at point  304 https://registry.npmjs.org/bufferjs (attached full log of the installation progress in the file below).

The error mentions something about unicode package having some issues so I tried to do separate npm install unicode (which ended up being successful). Tried the installation command for adapt-cli again and the same error still comes up.

I've also done CHOWN of /usr/local folder to fix any potential permission issue.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Been wanting to try Adapt framework, this issue aside.

Thanks!

Sheryl

Picture of Adam Laird
Re: Error installing Adapt CLI
by Adam Laird - Monday, 3 March 2014, 8:50 AM

did you do a recursive CHOWN?

by Sheryl Ann Lim - Monday, 3 March 2014, 2:09 PM

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the feedback.

I used the CHOWN -r command. After the failed installation, I checked the ownership of the adapt-cli installation folder that was created in /usr/local/lib/node_modules/ and found that it was still set to "nobody".

The next steps I took:

1. Deleted the failed installation files

2. Remade the adapt-cli folder

3. Ran CHOWN on that folder I created

4. Ran the install script again

Afterwards, everything proceeded smoothly.  It likely was a folder permission problem. Now grabbing the adapt framework from the github repository :)

Warm regards,

Sheryl

Picture of Haitham Gasim
by Haitham Gasim - Monday, 3 March 2014, 2:04 PM

Hi Sheryl.

I am on Ubuntu 12.04 but I think it might work on OSX. I followed the steps below on 2 machines. You probably need to add sudo to the commands. Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Haitham

Install NPM/Node.js

apt-get install python-software-properties
apt-add-repository ppa:chris-lea/node.js
apt-get update

node.js install

apt-get install nodejs

Check node.js version

node -v

Outputs

v0.10.20

npm install

apt-get install npm

Install Clients

$ npm install adapt-cli -g
$ npm install grunt-cli -g
$ npm install

by Sheryl Ann Lim - Monday, 3 March 2014, 2:14 PM

Hi Haitham,

Thanks for sharing the steps you did. You are right on needing to try and use sudo.

I did append it to the installation commands. Although after doing the CHOWN, I also found it would work without the need for sudo anymore.