Picture of Matt Leathes
Framework v2.0.14 - multilanguage version - released!
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 18 October 2016, 3:52 PM

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone

It gives me enormous pleasure to announce an exciting new release that we've been working very hard on for some months now - the new localisation-ready, multi-language-capable version of the Adapt Framework!

There are two new features in Adapt to enable multi-language/localisation support:

1. an export/import feature to allow translatable content to be exported to CSV and imported back in again once localised
  2. a new Language Picker extension to allow the user to choose a language on course load and even switch language mid-course.

Furthermore we updated the Spoor extension so that the user's choice of language is stored when the course is running on a SCORM-conformant LMS so that they don't have to choose a language again when resuming the course.

You can find out more detail about how all this works over at the Course Localisation page on the Adapt Framework Wiki.

In order to take advantage of the new localisation/multi-language capabilities of Adapt, you will need to have - at a minimum - v2.0.14 of the framework and v1.0.0 of the language picker extension.

If you want your course to be SCORM-conformant you will also need v2.0.13 (or better) of the Spoor extension.

And if you want to be able to use the export/import feature you need to make sure you have localisation-compatible versions of all your plugins. All the core plugins were updated in preparation for this back in June & July - if you're using any non-core plugins you will need to check them for compatibility and update as necessary.

This has been one of the biggest pieces of work the contributors have undertaken since the release of Adapt v2.0.0 last year, with support from (I think) nearly every contributor to update not only the Framework itself but every single core plugin - it's been a shining example of open source collaboration and hard work from all involved - and to all of you who helped I say: thank you, merci, gracias, grazie, danke, takk, спасибо, shukran, ありがとう, dank u wel, dhanyavād, a dank, dziękuję, ευχαριστώ, Xièxiè, M̀h’gōi, diolch & go raibh maith agat!

Special mention in particular should go to Thomas Berger from LearnChamp for all the time he put in - and of course to Chuck Lorenz for his sterling work on the documentation, without which all this hard work would go to waste because hardly anyone would know how to use it!

Finally, a few caveats about this release:

• There is no support for localisation/multi-language in the Authoring Tool as yet - but watch this space
  • There's a issue with the assessment extension in that the user can override a fixed number of assessment attempts by switching language (one workaround would be to hide the language picker icon so that the user cannot change language once they've made their initial selection)
  • When using the export/import feature you should try to only use utf-8 encoded files - so that accented characters are properly handled
  • There are still some parts of one or two plugins that can't (yet) be localised - for example the error messages that the spoor extension generates if it encounters a problem and the tooltip labels in the media component. We are planning to add support for these in the future.
Picture of Sam Tsiu
Re: Framework v2.0.14 - multilanguage version - released!
by Sam Tsiu - Wednesday, 19 October 2016, 3:14 AM

Thank you all for such an exciting new release! I've been looking forward to this feature ever since I got to know Adapt back in 2014.

Great job!

Picture of Henrik Aabom
by Henrik Aabom - Wednesday, 19 October 2016, 9:25 AM

That is absolutely amazing! Great job and thank you for this update!

It will really make our work a lot easier :D

Just tried it aout and it works brilliantly.

One minor thing though, the langauge icon isn't showing on the languagepicker button. I've tried all the three available classes (icon-globe, icon-language-1, icon-language-2), but neither of them shows an icon, when previewing.

I've just downloaded a fresh new framework (version 2.0.14), just to test the feature, and the languagePicker is version 1.0.0.

Should I include the icon in the Vanilla theme somehow in order to make it work?

I'm really looking forward to using this feature in the future! ;)

Thanks

Henrik

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 19 October 2016, 9:24 AM

Ah, that might be my mistake - I didn't release the updated theme. Will do that this morning.

Picture of Henrik Aabom
by Henrik Aabom - Wednesday, 19 October 2016, 9:37 AM

Yes that was it :)

I tried downloading the Vanilla theme from Git and imported it, and now the icons work fine.

Thanks!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 19 October 2016, 10:14 AM

Updated theme now released - see adapt-contrib-vanilla v2.0.4

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Wednesday, 19 October 2016, 5:49 PM

Matt overstates my contribution. But this gives me the excuse to emphasize what a positive experience it is working side-by-side with this crew. Professional and concerned with quality, good-natured and fun-loving, the group is very welcoming. Please consider deepening your involvement. I'm hoping the following paragraphs make it easier to imagine what that would be like.

How did this come about?
The multi-language feature was identified as a need, and leadership added it to the framework roadmap (there's also one for the authoring tool). You may identify such needs yourself from your own work. Search the issues for your proposed feature. If you find it, add a comment with a "+1" or with words to express your encouragement. If you don’t find it, create an issue describing what you’d like to see added.

Who built this?
When the feature made it to the top of the development list, one of the core developers, Thomas Berger, took the reins, pulled together the requirements, and began to lay down code. You can find conversations documenting this at the very beginning of the multilanguage gitter room. It’s a lot of scrolling, but it will give insight into the team’s collaboration. Also notice the date: 2015-11-05. Thomas contributed a lot this past year. But he didn’t work in isolation, and many times he was not working alone. The last month was crazy. Folks really wanted to get this released, but they kept discovering its impact on other plug-ins. Many people jumped in—from community developers to the QA departments of collaborating companies. Too many individuals to list (which is why Matt should never have singled me out!) but dig through the gitter room and you’ll find the major contributors and the resources they mustered to the effort.

How can you participate?
Because I’m posting in a thread about a feature release, I'd like to focus on that level of participation. At the time of this writing, Adapt is sponsored by a group of collaborating companies. These companies assign employee hours to the project. (Yep, they get paid to work on Adapt; how sweet is that!) Most are developers, but some have skills in marketing, project management, or graphic design. The core developers spend a lot of time communicating with each other via gitter. Get on it and monitor the chat. Frequently major features and issues will get a dedicated gitter room. Check the gitter page for Adapt to see if new rooms have been added.

Core developers will typically lead the work on a feature. Because their time has been dedicated to Adapt, they can ensure that progress continues. You can give input in the early stages by commenting on feature requests found in issues (framework issues; authoring tool issues) and by participating in gitter chats. This can be as simple as asking if certain behavior will be included or leaving a comment explaining why it should be. This also holds true throughout development.

Once coding begins, a GitHub code repository will be established somewhere. Collaboration will proceed with pull requests. If you’re not involved in early discussions, it might not be clear what needs to be done in the early stages. However, once code gets laid down, it needs to be reviewed and tested. It’s easier to understand expected behavior. Issues are created and assigned. Have time to code? Grab an issue and submit a PR. No time to code? Review existing code and create issues for any problems you spot. See an opportunity for enhancement? Create an issue. Not confident in the quality of your code? Run existing code and report bugs.

Creating of PRs and issues on GitHub is the safest way to ensure that your ideas are accounted for. But you’re welcome to interact with developers directly in the gitter rooms.

Apart from the development of major features, work on the framework and authoring tool continues. Please share your experience, ideas, and solutions in the forum. Report suspected bugs in issues. And help us build documentation in the wikis (framework; authoring tool). You don't need special permission to edit the wikis. You don't need to be fluent in English. You don't need to be an expert. We trust that you'll be responsible; but even if you were to write something horribly wrong, it would garner attention and force a rewrite—we'd end up ahead! Please review the wiki pages first to see if your proposed topic has been addressed or ask in the documentation gitter room. If not, create a new page. (We may edit your contribution or move it to another location—hope you won't mind.) Did you know that each core plug-in has its own wiki? Every one has its overview page like this one for Assessment and this one for the Vanilla theme. Many of them link to other pages like Assessment's Usage and Tips or Vanilla's Modifying the Vanilla Theme. These are great places to share what you've learned about configuration.

Who to ask?
Have a question about how to coordinate your effort with others? About how to initiate a feature project? About how to take the next step for your skill level? About how to get your company or organization involved? Jump into an appropriate gitter room and introduce yourself. Too public for you? Private message someone who has a big presence in chat; they’ll get you to the right person. As of this writing, Matt Leathes is the easiest to find in chat. He’ll steer you right.

One last insight: 
The majority of core developers are based in the UK, so the gitter rooms are most active during UK business hours. Don’t let that stop you from chatting at other hours. There are developers that check in around the world—from Australia to China to India to Europe to South and North America.

Finally... 
Thank you for using Adapt. Thank you for your contributions and feedback that continue to improve Adapt for everyone.

Picture of Fredrik Fahlin
by Fredrik Fahlin - Friday, 28 October 2016, 12:23 PM

Will the last Authoring tool 0.2.2 work with the 2.0.14 release of the framework, even though I can't access the multi-language features?

The latest release of the authoring tool ships with 2.07 of the framework and I wonder if I can upgrade to the latest framework without breaking anything!

Picture of Juan Pérez
by Juan Pérez - Tuesday, 6 December 2016, 2:24 AM

Hi Matt,

How i do to update my current Adapt Framework?

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 6 December 2016, 10:26 AM

It's easier to start a new course in the latest framework then copy over all the json and assets from the old version

Picture of Juan Pérez
by Juan Pérez - Tuesday, 6 December 2016, 2:44 AM

Matt hi,

I am using adapt theme comunity. But some times when i enter in the components , for example, not show anything, neither load nothing.

Can you help me?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 6 December 2016, 10:05 AM

Mostly likely you have a syntax error in your .json somewhere. If you're using $ grunt dev to watch & build changed files then it should warn you of most errors. You can also use tools like JSONLint.

Picture of Vu Le
by Vu Le - Wednesday, 7 December 2016, 2:51 AM

Hi Matt,

I download the newest adapt version from github and installed it. But when I run the command adapt --version it's still : v.2.0.4.

Thanks!

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Wednesday, 7 December 2016, 4:33 AM

Hi Vu,

Commands that begin with adapt are commands of the Adapt CLI.  adapt --version returns the version of the CLI, not of the framework.

To check the version of the framework, navigate to and open  /package.json. You should find the version specified near the top, something like "version": "2.0.15"

-Chuck 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 7 December 2016, 4:02 PM

If you're on Windows you can use cmder as your command line application and it will tell you the Adapt Framework version:

Picture of Vu Le
by Vu Le - Thursday, 8 December 2016, 10:21 AM

Oh I see! Thank you.