Picture of James Bedwell
Assessment Single-submit: Can I make questions optional?
by James Bedwell - Thursday, 20 October 2016, 8:44 AM

Hi community,

I am building an eLearning feedback form using Adapt and it's going great so far.

However I would like to be able to set some questions as optional and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this.

I have marked the components as optional under "Component Edit > Settings > Is this optional?"

However when I click on the 'Assessment Single-submit' submit button, it says:

Please answer all the above questions before clicking 'Submit'

Please see attached .zip file with the Adapt course inside.

Is there a way to make some questions within a Single-submit optional?

Cheers!

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Assessment Single-submit: Can I make questions optional?
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 20 October 2016, 10:17 AM

Hi James

The 'optional' setting is about whether completion of that component should be counted or ignored when calculating block/article/contentObject/course completion.

Equally the assessment extension is going to require that the user answers ALL questions presented to them since that's what's normally expected of a user in an assessment.

The best option I can think of would be to hack the openTextInput component's canSubmit function so that it allows submission when the user hasn't supplied an answer. You might just be able to delete that function completely, if not just have it return true;

Picture of James Bedwell
by James Bedwell - Thursday, 20 October 2016, 10:40 AM

Thanks for your response Matt.

Is this possible in the authoring tool, or just the framework?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 20 October 2016, 11:40 AM

As with any time you're going to amend the functionality of an Adapt plugin, I recommend you get it working in the Framework first and only attempt to update the plugin in the Authoring Tool once you're confident it's working in the Framework.

This is because (once you're set up) it's really quick to make code changes and test in the Framework.