Now that the UI update to the Authoring Tool has been released for almost three months now I thought it would be good to get some feedback from the community so that further improvements can be made to it.
Here are some of my thoughts:
- The navbar and sidebar are slightly too large. Whenever I seen screenshots of the Authoring Tool from users on smaller screened laptops I notice that these elements take up way too much of the screen.
- Radio buttons on the config and project settings screens. We made a change to make this make more sense in a UI sense (all buttons are on to begin with and you click a button to turn it off). However that means if you want to view this one setting on it's on you have to turn click every other toggle instead of just clicking the one you want. I suggest we change this to an exclusive click. You click an item to turn that one on and it turns all the other ones off.
- Colours could use some improvements. I think there are some inconsistencies in colours picked and in general the colours used may be a bit too bright.
- The page editor screen could use some improvements
- The 'Add block' button is way off center. (I've already addressed this in this pull request).
- Having the component picker on the side on the right isn't great. If you have lots of components then you will be scrolling for a long time to find your particular component. I suggest that we could instead use a 'lightbox' component picker which takes up most of the screen and enables more components to be shown or more information about them. We could even link to the Usage and tips wiki.
- The component editor screen is still missing some basic functionality
I would really appreciate it if you could share your opinions on the Authoring Tool UI so that we can reach some kind of understanding of where to prioritize future development.