Picture of Joe Wickert
Complete on Assessment passed
by Joe Wickert - Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 2:24 AM

Hi,

I'm using the authoring tool. I've set up a bank or four multiple choice Questions in an article with Assessment set to show quiz is passed when they are all correct.Users get three attempts and the asessment results plugin is allowing them to retry.I'm having problems getting trickle (set at article level) to be active only when they pass the test. It's letting users continue when they've attempted all questions but not passed test.

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Thanks

Joe

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
Re: Complete on Assessment passed
by Chuck Lorenz - Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 3:40 AM

Hi Joe,

I don't believe that Trickle is coded to account for passed Assesments. I have to admit, though, that seems like a reasonable idea.

As I understand the code, Trickle responds to components being completed. In an Assessment scenario, question components can be completed (answered correctly or attempts all used up) but without an aggregate score that qualifies for passing.

-Chuck

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 11:50 AM

Chuck's quite right; Trickle is looking at component completion. The problem here is that the assessment results component marks as completed once it is displayed in the viewport. You'd need to modify its behaviour so that it doesn't do this unless the user has also passed.

Picture of Joe Wickert
by Joe Wickert - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 10:46 PM

Ah OK. The problem is was running into I think is that I was using Assessment results with a range message to show the failed results and give them the retry option.

"You've got 1 of 3 right. You have 3 attempts left."

So that means the assessment results is marked as completed when that range message is shown.

But how do you hide it until assessment is passed. Only option I can see in assessment results is "Hide until completed" which seems to ignore the pass/fail settings in the assessment block.I thnk the real problem here is clients wanting to lock down user progress through the course. "You failed, you can't get to to section 2, tough luck"

Thanks for your help, Adapt is great, and your support on this forum is terrific.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 3 November 2016, 9:58 AM

Hi Joe

But how do you hide it until assessment is passed.

You can't do this out of the box. It would be easy enough to change in the code - just a case of changing state.isComplete to state.isPass on this line. If it's not shown on completion though, you'd need to consider how the user will know they are a) at the end of the assessment, b) have failed and c) how they'd reset for another go.