Picture of Daniel Marshall
Struggling to create my first course!
by Daniel Marshall - Sunday, 30 October 2016, 12:25 AM

Hey everyone!

I am very excited to be with the Adapt authoring tool. I've done a lot of reading around it and I am very excited to being it. I downloaded and installed the authoring tool via Vagrant which is a fete in itself for me!

I am struggling to understand what the difference between a "page" and a "sub-menu" are.

I have all the content already set up and laid out in a word document (a mix of information slides, single best answer questions as well as multi-answers.) and I was hoping to break down that content into "slides". However I am getting buddged down by the whole "page" and "sub-menu" systems which is not looking anything like the showcase works nor the vision I have for this course.

So how and where do I start?

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
Re: Struggling to create my first course!
by Chuck Lorenz - Sunday, 30 October 2016, 1:33 AM

Let’s use the standard Adapt demo as an example found here: https://www.adaptlearning.org/index.php/adapt-showcase/

index.html presents four menu items. A menu item, when clicked, can lead to a page that is comprised of components (Accordion, Text, Matching, etc) that present content. For example, clicking on the Presentation Components menu item leads to a page populated with various components that been nested within the structure of articles and blocks.

But clicking on a menu item doesn’t have to lead to a single page. It can lead to another set of menu items—a submenu. Each of the menu items in the submenu can lead to either a page or another submenu. This is not demonstrated in the standard Adapt demo.

Menus & submenus are used for categorizing or grouping pages. Pages are used for presenting content.

Menus & submenus typically accept title, body text, a graphic, and sometimes an estimated duration for completion and a progress indicator. These are used to describe the content that is accessed by clicking the menu item. But menus don’t typically accept articles, blocks, or content components.

If you create four pages, you should expect to see four menu items.

If you decided, however, that two of the four pages should be grouped together, you could create two page and one submenu. From the submenu, create two pages. You would have four pages on which to present content. But upon entering the course, the learner would see three menu items: two lead to a single page and one leads to a submenu with two more options.

Picture of Daniel Marshall
by Daniel Marshall - Sunday, 30 October 2016, 11:00 AM

Hello Chuck,

Thank you very much for clarifying that for me.

I guess what I am trying to achieve is a single page with multiple articles. Each article will then contain one or more of the components.

I guess what I am trying to achieve now is for that page to load directly as the course loads and to allow for some sort of pagination system to move between the articles. So like a "Next" button that would show when the bottom is reached or a question is answered correctly. I guess it would something similar to: http://spongeukweb.azurewebsites.net/adaptsecurity/adapt/index.html#/id/co-10

But I have a feeling that will be hard to achieve :S

Thanks for your help though.

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 7 November 2016, 10:34 AM

It is not hard to achieve - you just need a single page course with multiple articles containing your blocks and components and then use the Trickle plugin (which is included in the core program) to achieve the "next" stepping you desire. https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-trickle/wiki

To get your page to load rather than the menu you just need to use the Start Controller extension (also included). Enable it for your project then go into your project settings and id the page you want to start from instead of the menu.

Hope that helps!