Picture of Chris Gillison
assessment certificate?
by Chris Gillison - Tuesday, 1 November 2016, 8:24 PM

Hi everyone,

Firstly, a quick bit of fawning - I've moved on from the AT to the framework, and boy, am I enjoying it! Adapt is a great product, and lots of fun to fiddle with - hats off to all those involved in development!

On to the question... I've got the assessmentResults up and running which is great. But what I think would be really nice is if you could print out a certificate if the learner passes. Is that too niche?! It could even be a printout of the assessmentResults block (with the understanding that the styling for that block would be down to the developer).

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts on that?

Regards, Chris

Picture of John Niezen
Re: assessment certificate?
by John Niezen - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 7:02 AM

Hi Chris,

That is something you would do in an LMS like Moodle. You want to track and keep their progress. Adapt is in my opinion a content creator, and not a progress manager.

Others may have a different opinion though.

John

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 9:55 AM

Hi Chris

Really glad you're enjoying working with the framework!

I would partly agree with John in that certificates are best done on the LMS side of things - that way the user can access their certificate without having to launch a course to do so; also it's possible to make a certificate that can be downloaded rather than just printed, something which - at best - is extremely challenging to do in the course itself.

That said, as content developers we don't always have the luxury of that kind of functionality in the LMS so it's necessary to be able to include a certificate in the course as well - as a backup option.

We have done in-course certificates a few times - I know there's been talk of putting something a bit more robust together for re-use, if that goes ahead I'll let you know.

A more modern and digital alternative would be to look at something like Open Badges instead.

Picture of Chris Gillison
by Chris Gillison - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 12:07 PM

Thanks guys. Fair point about the LMS's role in that, John. Will keep an eye out for any developments around in-course certificates Matt.

Picture of Terrell Perry
by Terrell Perry - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 12:23 PM

Chris: This would be a very helpful addition to the assessmentResults components.  I suggest adding an option to let the author set a criterion level (e.g., at least an 80%) at which time the learner is even offered the option to print a completion certificate.