Picture of Steve Galway
Authoring Tool installation failure - 'Upgrade was unsuccessful'
by Steve Galway - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 2:07 PM

Hi folks,

I'm just getting started with Adapt but I can't install the Authoring Tool on my laptop. This might be similar to:

This forum post

I tried the suggestion in there but it didn't work in my case.

I'm following the instructions here:

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Install-with-Vagrant

Everything looks to be going OK but it continually fails with the following error message:

==> default: Upgrade was unsuccessful. Please check the console output.
The SSH command responded with a non-zero exit status. Vagrant
assumes that this means the command failed. The output for this command
should be in the log above. Please read the output to determine what
went wrong.

I've looked at the log and it appears to fail when loading the components. Each time I attempt an install it fails on a different component. I've attached the log in case anyone knows what might be going on?

I have tried 'vagrant halt' and 'vagrant destroy' but each time it fails with the same error message.

Sometimes it appears to work but all I get is:

I can't seem to get it to install properly and was hoping someone might suggest where I am going wrong?

Steve

Picture of James Bevelander
Re: Authoring Tool installation failure - 'Upgrade was unsuccessful'
by James Bevelander - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 8:25 PM

Hi Steve, I've only just been able to install the authoring tool successfully after many failed attempts....and frustrating days.

I saw the same logo when I'd go to localhost:5000 after running ""vagrant up. It was doing my head in because I tried everything including installing on 2 different computers and I even tried to do a manual install......all with no luck.

How I FINALLY got it to work

I followed the tutorial below. What I realised from that tutorial which isn't mentioned on the github instructions is that vagrant and adapt_authoring-master MUST NOT be in a folder that requires permissions. In my case I was downloading vagrant and adapt_authoring into the "program files" folder....I'm not sure if you are doing the same but if you are that's your issue. Also make 100% sure you are opening command prompt as an admin.......hope this helps. As I said follow the tute below and hopefully you'll be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQNkecFdO_Q

Picture of Steve Galway
Re: Authoring Tool installation failure - 'Upgrade was unsuccessful'
by Steve Galway - Thursday, 3 November 2016, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the help James. As it turns out I tried both c:\ and c:\program files. The installation still failed. In an act of desperation I disconnected from my work VPN and tried again via my home ISP - and it installed first time! No idea why and might just be a coincidence but it's up and running now. 

Thanks for the help.

Steve