Picture of Nishaad Jainullah
MP4 video playback error
by Nishaad Jainullah - Wednesday, 9 November 2016, 9:04 AM

When I upload an MP4 with authoring tool and add this video to a media component I get a playback error.

The error message on screen is "Error loading this resource".

The error message in inspection tool from google chrome is Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: Failed to load because no supported source was found..

Does anyone know what I have to do?

Picture of Kathaegul Kathaegul
Re: MP4 video playback error
by Kathaegul Kathaegul - Friday, 15 September 2017, 7:21 AM

Sorry to bother you man but this really seems to be a related thread about MP4 playback issue, isn't it? I also have a problem of MP4 playback which I downloaded from YouTube yesterday. The video couldn't be played on VLC media Player. I downloaded this video repair program (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/repair-mp4-file.html) as you can see, to repair mp4 file. In the article it mentions that i can fix video by converting formats. I do not know how it work, but after I added my MP4 video into the program, it asked me to choose a codec. There were 2 , H264 and MPEG4, i do not know which encoder to choose. I also find another type named MJPEG on the internet and I do not know what are the relations between them. The original video which i downloaded is MPEG4, but it does not work as i have said just now. As for H264, i also know that it is a highly compressed encoder, so i am worrying about that there might be some dramatic quality loss in the course of conversion, is that true? The video is 720P- 60fps and i do not literally like to decrease the file size by losing video output quality and decreasing it to 30fps which is less smooth. How should i fix a video without changing codec? Any one has any constructive ideas?

Picture of Cormac O'Keeffe
by Cormac O'Keeffe - Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 3:18 PM

Hi, 

I've only recently encountered a similar issue and it seems to be something do to with either Chrome or the encoding. 

I have one video that works fine in Chrome. Another video does not play and gives me the same DOM error as you. In Firefox, I get audio but no video. In Safari ,the video and audio playback just fine.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks in advance!

Cormac

Picture of sarveshwar gavhane
by sarveshwar gavhane - Thursday, 9 November 2017, 5:58 AM

hi Cormac

this seems more a problem of the demo file and not the plugin itself.

still if you provide us a URL where we can see the issue , probably we could help you

are you facing this issue in framework or authoring tool ? 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 9 November 2017, 10:26 AM

Hi Cormac

MP4 is just a video 'container' format.

If you want your MP4 to be viewable on the web you need to make sure it is encoded specifically as H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC.

I haven't used it for a while but Miro always used to be a good 'go to' for getting an mp4 in the right format quickly and easily. Equally I think you can do quite a lot these days from VLC.

You will also need to ensure the server is it run from is properly configured for the mp4 MIME type.

Picture of Cormac O'Keeffe
by Cormac O'Keeffe - Monday, 13 November 2017, 4:07 PM

Hi Matt, 

Thanks very much for the advice. I've 'solved' the problem since then but I'm not 100% sure how I did it yet. That's why I hadn't posted a reply until now! 

I re-encoded the video (in Shotcut), shortened the file name, reinstalled the media component and cleaned up the JSON (removing anything redundant) and that seemed to fix it but wasn't able to replicate the fix on a colleague's machine. 

Thanks!