Picture of Stephen Harlow
ASADA e-learning question: persistent variables
by Stephen Harlow - Monday, 14 November 2016, 4:29 AM

Anyone who hasn't checked out the Australian Sports Anti-doping Authority (ASADA) e-learning created with the Adapt Framework should create an account and go and have a look.

I understand the folks at Kineo had a hand in developing their flagship courses. On the assumption that one of the Kineo folks here might be able to answer, I have a question about their latest course, Ethical Decision Making In Sport.

The activity requires the learner to choose three values via a MCQ component then those choices are remembered and presented later in the course. The chosen values appear later on another page as part of a slider component. I merged a couple of screenshots to give you the idea:

Component screenshots

How is the MCQ variable passed between components? I'm guessing it's not something supported in the Authoring Tool.

What kind of advanced Adapt Framework voodoo is this? ;-)

Stephen

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: ASADA e-learning question: persistent variables
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 14 November 2016, 8:12 PM

Hi Stephen

I think this particular bit of ASADA was by our colleagues in Kineo Pacific... So they might be best placed to answer how exactly this was done.

There's a couple of different ways you could do something like this. Either directly in the component - see our update to confidenceSlider (specifically the function _setupLinkedModel) to see how you can pull values from one instance of a component into another - or by creating an extension that acts as the 'man in the middle'.

Given something like the above I'd be inclined to create a custom slider component that had logic along the lines of 'for each option chosen by the user in component with id x, display a slider with a heading whose text is the label of the option the user chose'...