Picture of Rik van Steenbergen
Hosting my courses
by Rik van Steenbergen - Friday, 25 November 2016, 12:04 PM

Hello people, IAMA Dutch education and knowledge management student with great interest in E-learning and I strongly believe E-learning can build bridges over the gap in education between students from wealthier and less wealthy families.
Next year I will be starting a premaster in Educational Science and Technology and after my masters degree my goal is to develop freely accessible interactive learning environments for all people in the Netherlands to freely use and enrich themselves.

Comming Februari I've been given the chance to develop an e-learning course for struggling students in my own university. I may create an online platform on which my fellow students can view videos of me teaching them Advanced Placement Biology and download handouts and other material for them to use as they please. I plan to also distribute these classes among local high schools and universities to freely use.

The Adapt Authoring Tool is running quite well on localhost, and I managed to feel like an absolute computer expert following the instructions and doing the prerequisite stuff in CMD. But here's the kicker: I'm absolutely incapable of making a website to distribute the courses on.

I want to keep expenses as low as in any way possible, so I can not hire a professional partner to create the website for me. I do know people who work as frontend and backend developers and a guy with a pretty big IT firm but I hate to ask for handouts without at least partially knowing what I'm asking for.

How can I learn what I need to be able to host my own website? Where can I learn how to get my courses on there?

I apologize for my ignorance, and am very willing to learn.

Kind regards,

Rik van Steenbergen

Aniket Dharia
Re: Hosting my courses
by Aniket Dharia - Friday, 25 November 2016, 2:05 PM

Hi Rik - 

This message definitely makes us proud as collaborators. Adapt being used in the best possible way. :)

Regarding a website, there are multiple options to host the content either do it on an LMS like moodle or in WordPress using learndash. If you wish to use learndash, there is a black friday sale on. :)

If you still feel like you need support you can get in touch with any of the collaborators, there might be someone who might fit your needs.

Thanks!

Regards,

Aniket Dharia

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 25 November 2016, 3:01 PM

Hi Rik

Ideally you want a Learning Management System (one that can handle SCORM 1.2 - most can) as this will enable your Adapt courses to be tracked. This is beneficial both to you (so that you can see what users are doing) and to your users (as they will be able to suspend & resume courses).

Any LMS will come with user management and reporting and most will have a host of other features.

Moodle is a very popular open source (free) option, there's also Totara which is an enterprise version of Moodle.

Aniket's suggestion of WordPress with LearnDash sounds like a good one.

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
by Mathew Gancarz - Friday, 25 November 2016, 7:57 PM

It's worth pointing out also that Moodle has "MoodleCloud" free which is exactly geared towards this sort of use: https://moodle.com/cloud/ 

50 Maximum users and maximum 200 MB for the free tier, but it will atleast let you experiment. 

I'm seconding Wordpress with LearnDash also. That may be simpler as you can find a fairly cheap Wordpress hosting provider and buy LearnDash as a one-time purchase I think. https://www.learndash.com/pricing-and-purchase/

Picture of Joe Wickert
by Joe Wickert - Sunday, 27 November 2016, 11:23 PM

Hi, I've just done a bit of research around Wordpress integration.

I couldn't find any plug-ins, Learndash included, that actually support SCORM compliance.

They mostly require you to rebuild the course with Wordpress nodes as course components.

Learndash claims to support Captivate/Articulate because SWFs can be embedded into Wordpress posts but doesn't treat them as SCORM objects.

From this page:

https://www.learndash.com/pricing-and-purchase/

"Does LearnDash support SCORM? No, SCORM is not supported. LearnDash does support Tin Can API (also known as xAPI)."
There is a SCORM Wordpress plugin on Github that sort of works, but needs a bit of expertise to get working.
https://github.com/GnaritasInc/gnlms

Hope this is helpful.

Picture of Saurabh Singh
by Saurabh Singh - Thursday, 14 January 2021, 9:52 AM

Hi Joe or anyone who is looking for SCORM Content support on WordPress,

GrassBlade xAPI Companion plugin can add support for SCORM on WordPress and has integration with LearnDash, Learnpress, WP Courseware, and LifterLMS plugins.

With his plugins, you can:

1. Upload packages (HTML5, SCORM, xAPI) on WordPress
  2. Track User activity on content
  3. Connect to LRS to get reporting
  4. LMS plugin integration (required: GrassBlade Cloud LRS)

Learn More: https://www.nextsoftwaresolutions.com/scorm-content-in-wordpress/

I know this is an old post, but I thought my reply can solve the issue for many users, hope you guys will find this post useful.

Regards,

Picture of Ailiniyazi Maimaiti
by Ailiniyazi Maimaiti - Monday, 18 January 2021, 1:13 PM

Great to know, many thanks!