Picture of Steven W
Trickle button not displaying after first block
by Steven W - Wednesday, 7 December 2016, 11:41 PM

We're working on a course that has trickle enabled. The first trickle button shows when expected, however, the trickle button on the second block does not show up as the learner scrolls down. The design we are using has a number of negative margin and defined height values on different divs that might be causing the trickle math to determine that the learner's scroll has not met the requirement for the trickle button to appear, this is our working hunch.

After taking a look at the inner workings of the trickle extension, I decided to turn to this forum for some guidance. A couple questions for you:

1. Where in the trickle extension can I find the logic that determines what allows the trickle button to become visible? 
  2. Do you think that the various heights and margins being used in this design could cause the issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Picture of Ben Simons
Re: Trickle button not displaying after first block
by Ben Simons - Thursday, 15 December 2016, 4:32 PM

Hi Steven, 

I'm pretty sure that trickle completes and shows the trickle button/bar when the components in the block with the trickle on are completed. It may be that the component you are using isn't being picked up as completed therefore not allowing the trickle to show up. What component is in the block that doesn't work?

Picture of Dan Rooney
Re: Trickle button not displaying after first block
by Dan Rooney - Wednesday, 22 February 2017, 9:16 PM

Hi Steven,

A little late to the game but this might help someone if you've already resolved your issue.

I had a similar problem where the trickle buttons were only showing on one article.  It turned out to be that subsequent articles didn't have the "_type": "article" properties.

I just tried the same thing on the block level by removing the "_type": "block" attribute on one of the blocks and that block did not get the trickle button.

I'm not sure how many components use the "_type" property but Trickle definitely does.

Dan