Picture of Adam Laird
Adapt SCORM on Moodle/Totara
by Adam Laird - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 12:54 PM

Has anyone tried uploading a module to a Moodle based LMS yet and view on a mobile device?

I just uploaded as a scorm package but when viewed on a mobile the page isnt resizing/aware of the size of the screen perhaps due to the scorm launcher that totara/moodle uses

The page just displays as a desktop sized screen, perhaps im missing a setting somewhere?

Using Android stock internet browser

Picture of Adam Laird
Re: Adapt SCORM on Moodle/Totara
by Adam Laird - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 2:14 PM

This also occurs on mobile devices when you go to main.html to test with fake scorm wrapper, I believe its due to the content being in an iFrame

Picture of Kev Adsett
by Kev Adsett - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 3:03 PM

Hi Adam, as a first check, you should ensure your imsmanifest.xml file is pointing to index.html, not main.html. Main html has a fake scorm API to allow you to test your course on a web server (not an LMS) without disabling the scorm functionality, making for a smoother transition when you upload it. 

As you have pointed out, this is only suitable for desktop and is intended as a convenience. If you need to test mobile devices, it is recommended that you do one of two things:

1. Upload the course to an LMS (ensuring the manifest is set up as described above - note this should be the default behaviour so you wouldn't usually need to change the reference).

2. Remove the spoor extension before you build, and test from a web server without having to worry about the LMS connection error message that spoor would give you otherwise.

I hope that helps.

Kev

me
by Sven Laux - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 2:15 PM

Hi Adam,

yes, I have come across this before. The issue is that Moodle embeds an IFrame in the new page, which is not responsive.

My approach has been to create a separate index file, which spawns a new window as part of the Adapt course and configure the SCORM activity to launch in the same window.

That way, you end up with a popup, which just contains the Adapt content and the responsiveness works.

Hope this helps,
Sven

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 2:19 PM

Thanks Sven but could you expand upon that as don't think I quite understand what you mean

sorry

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 2:57 PM

Hi Adam -

What Sven meant was that you can create your own launch page with a hyperlink using which you will launch the index.html from the build folder.

Hope this would help.

Thanks!

me
by Sven Laux - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 4:23 PM

Hi Adam,

of course - here is a little more info. You'll need to create a regular Adapt SCORM package, which is the starting point.

• As Aniket says, you'll need to create a further page manually.
  • The purpose of this new page is to open up the main Adapt page in a popup using JavaScript.
  • You will need to make sure the additional page you have created is the one referenced in the imsmanifest.xml file instead of the main Adapt launch page.
  • This means Moodle will open the new page as part of launching the SCORM package.
  • If you configure the Moodle SCORM activity so that is displays in the 'same window' (as opposed to 'new window'), the effect is that your new page is opened up directly in the Moodle window.
  • As it's loaded, your JavaScript will then spawn the popup and load the original Adapt page.
  • Seeing as you are controlling how the new window/tab is being opened via JavaScript rather than relying on Moodle to do this for you, you won't have the same issue (as your script avoids the iframe).
  • If you follow this method, you will still only have one extra window/tab and this should now be fully responsive.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks
Sven

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
by Mathew Gancarz - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 11:04 PM

Personally I'm hoping that future Moodle SCORM plugin development will build in something to handle responsive SCORM packages. I wouldn't want to have to do this procedure for every module we publish and revise.

Picture of Thomas Schmidt
by Thomas Schmidt - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 8:22 AM

Hi,

yapp - I agree to that. I was busy with moodle 2.6.x - and the new theme / template which is based on Bootstrap.

This has a Modal Feature - which would be a great alternative to the usual ugly PopUp of the Browser.

But the feature to open SCORM stuff in the Modal isnt there too... Would be great.

Cheers

Thomas

me
by Sven Laux - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 10:22 AM

Hi Matthew, hi Thomas,

I appreciate there are too many steps involved. From Adapt's point of view, we can make it a little easier by automating the step of generating the additional launch page.

I have logged an issue for this at: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/issues/210

This means there are no extra steps involved in setting up the Moodle SCORM activity.

Thanks,
Sven

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 8:41 AM

Thanks that is now clarified

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 12:16 PM

sample launch page and imsmanifest to launch without iFrame

In moodle/totara simply select current window under display settings

Only things need to change is the name of the module in the launch.html and for production the immanifest names and IDs

To make it simpler you can do a find and replace on ID_OF_MODULE for the manifest Id and NAME_OF_MODULE for both for the title.

Launch page courtesy of theft from user testing course within this community

Software Development Manager
by Charles Teague - Wednesday, 25 June 2014, 3:16 PM

In my case, most of the people who use the modules that I deploy use computers (around 10,000 people).  A few hundred want to use their mobile devices.  So, I want to avoid the pop up on personnel computers.  It appears that the frame on the personnel computers that I have tested works in that I can use the adapt module with an extra scroll bar.  But the frame on the mobile devices does not work.  Perhaps this is an error with the LMS systems that I tested.  Because it may be awhile before the LMS's correct their error, I created a possible work-around that I believe will only open a new window when necessary.

I updated the launch.html file that you created such that it will only open a new window when the resolution is smaller than 1024 wide or 768 high; I also changed the location of the link to click for opening a new window, so that it is viewable on small screens.  This allows the module to open in the frame on personnel computers (where it works), and open a new window on mobile devices.  This worked for all cases that I tested (ipad 1, iphone 3, and ipad 5, and windows).

Let me know if you try this and it does not work on some device.

Picture of Alvaro Gil
by Alvaro Gil - Saturday, 27 January 2018, 1:36 PM

Hi from Spain. I'm working on a course in Adapt Tool. I've downloaded the course and opened the zip file.

I've no imsmanifest at all.

Could you send me detailed steps, please. I'm totally lost because my course looks nice on computers but is impossible to deploy on IPAD's or Tablets because of Mooodle's IFRAME issue. Thanks in advance and Kind Regards;)

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 29 January 2018, 10:27 AM

You need to install/enable the spoor extension.

You can use the launchNewWindow extension to get your course to open itself in a new window on iOS, thereby avoiding the iOS/iframe problem.

Picture of Alvaro Gil
by Alvaro Gil - Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 7:49 AM

Hi Matt, thanks for your response. Spoor is installed and enabled, but when I try to upload plugin launchNewWindow, the "plugin upload failed message" appears. What can I do? Thanks in advance;) Kind regards

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 3:29 PM

Could you check what version of the framework your authoring tool has? This plugin requires 2.0.17 (or better).

Picture of Alvaro Gil
by Alvaro Gil - Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 9:46 AM

My versions are:

Adapt Authoring Tool 0.4.0

Adapt Framework: 3.0.0

Thanks in advance

Picture of Alvaro Gil
by Alvaro Gil - Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 9:51 AM

UPDATE: At the LINUX console, I've seen: "This plugin is incompatible with version 3.0.0 of the Adapt framework"

Can I downgrade to a compatible version? How could I do that and which version should I downgrade to?

Thank you very much.

Picture of Alvaro Gil
by Alvaro Gil - Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 10:03 AM

I've just properly installed the plugin. I downloaded it a few days ago and I think it was not correct (las updated 2 days ago,  the bower.json had an error).

You can see it here: https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-launchNewWindow/commit/5b084d28924f42a6c406194085c64114a49ccd13

I've just downloaded now and it has installed ok;)

I hope I can do this works. Thank you very much and kind regards.