Picture of Renju K
Help with Adapt - LMS
by Renju K - Thursday, 5 January 2017, 8:15 AM

Hi,

I am developing an eLearning web solution using Node.js for a small community, with the following prime requirements.

1. Support course authoring

2. Track course progress

3. Take assessment

I came across Adapt framework recently and impressed with the course design and would like to consider the Framework/Authoring in my solution. However, I would not be using an LMS to deliver/track the course. Instead I am planning to develop a custom backend solution using Node.js which would perform the following tasks:

1. Authenticate the Users

2. Launch the course

3. Track the course progress using AJAX calls

4. Persist the progress/assessment details in a database (NoSQL or SQL). 

Could you please advise, if Adapt would be a fit for this solution in the longer run? Would it be possible to integrate the Adapt course to backend via AJAX for tracking the course progress/assessment? Has someone successfully traversed this path already, so that I can learn from their lessons?

Appreciate your inputs! Thanks in advance!

Picture of jPablo Caballero
Re: Help with Adapt - LMS
by jPablo Caballero - Thursday, 5 January 2017, 9:44 AM

Hello,

Regarding tracking to custom backends, there's an extension (disclaimer: I'm the author) that facilitates that.

If you want to look at it, to get a general idea, it's here... Important: I would advise you to not use it as it is, because this extension has undergone a major revision very recently, and I haven't published the updated version yet. I'm trying to finish the update and add better documentation very soon.

Regards.

Picture of Renju K
by Renju K - Thursday, 5 January 2017, 3:34 PM

Thanks for the prompt inputs. Going through the extension. Looking forward to seeing the updated version.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 5 January 2017, 9:48 AM

Yes this is all sounds like it would work fine.

In terms of integrating it with the backend you are building, you'd probably want to take a look at the adapt-contrib-spoor extension as this is the interface between Adapt and SCORM 1.2 LMSs. You'd either need to create something similar to this extension but which tracks to your backend instead - or just re-write the extension so that it talks to your backend instead of the SCORM API. This is what we've done before when having to make Adapt work with AICC instead of SCORM.

Picture of Renju K
by Renju K - Thursday, 5 January 2017, 3:37 PM

Thanks Matt for the prompt response and the suggestions. This helps.