Picture of Rob Mausser
Creating my own theme
by Rob Mausser - Monday, 16 January 2017, 6:58 PM

Hey guys

Tons of great resources on modifying the vanilla theme, as well as renaming the vanilla theme and uploading to the Adapt Authoring Tool. (in bower.json)

Something I feel that is glossed over, however, is if you rename a theme, how to get the Framework (not the builder) to start using it.

I've been able to install other peoples themes using the command "adapt install (the theme)" but I cannot do this with one of my own homebrewed ones. Simply deleting the Vanilla theme and putting my theme in place doesnt seem to work. 

Where in the Adapt SRC do we change a setting to point to the new theme, instead of the vanilla one?

thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Creating my own theme
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 16 January 2017, 7:55 PM

Hi Rob

I'm by no means an expert in the theming aspect of Adapt, but usually such things are determined by bower.json (each plugin must have one of these)... so first I'd double-check that you have configured that properly.

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Tuesday, 17 January 2017, 5:41 AM

Hi Rob - Please use the below grunt command.

grunt build --theme=adapt-new-theme --menu=adapt-new-menu
Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 17 January 2017, 9:51 AM

Hi Aniket

The --theme switch should only be necessary if you have multiple themes installed and therefore need to specify which one to use.

Picture of Scott L
by Scott L - Saturday, 17 June 2017, 12:34 AM

Hey Rob, I'm in the same boat. I've modified the Vanilla theme a few times, but would like to create a new-named theme, remove Vanilla (via the Adapt CLI) but then install a new locally-hosted, home-brewed theme just from my computer without it needing to be in a plugin registry.

Did you find a solution?

Can somebody confirm that a theme must be a registered plugin hosted on GitHub?