Picture of Tom Taylor
New feature: Authoring tool theme editor
by Tom Taylor - Friday, 10 February 2017, 11:34 AM

----------

10/02/17 Update: Requirements document can be viewed here (work in progress)

06/02/17 Update: InVision mood board here

----------

Hi all,

I'm keen to get the ball rolling on a theming/theme editor plugin for the authoring tool, and want to enlist any community members interested in helping out. I'm not looking for anyone with specific skills, just a working knowledge of the authoring tool, and a desire for the feature.

If you have expertise in any of the following areas, I'd love to hear from you:

• Requirements gathering
  • UI/UX design (art direction, wireframes) 
  • Development
  • Documentation
  • Project management
  • Testing

We're a small dev team, so any extra hands will get things moving much quicker.

To get things started, I've created a shiny new Gitter chat room to discuss the development, and opened a PR on the authoring tool GitHub with a very early demo/prototype of how a simple theme editor might look. Anyone brave enough is more than welcome to have a look, and leave comments there.

Also please feel free to reply to this thread with any requirements you have to help us along with the design, including any images, drawings or diagrams you think might be useful.

I'll update this thread with any developments as they occur.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Picture of Christian Lee
Re: Theming Adapt courses in the authoring tool
by Christian Lee - Sunday, 5 February 2017, 4:43 PM

Tom, this is a great idea and I'm very keen to help out. I'm no coder, I'm an e-learning developer with a passion to see Adapt develop. I've used Adobe Captivate/ Articulate and have trailed Evolve authoring (which has built in Theming.) This would be a very strong pull for e-learning designers/ developers.

Ideas off top of my head:

Live Preview

Heading Text manipulation 

quick block and B.G. theming

Hope I can help out in anyway

Chris

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Monday, 6 February 2017, 9:22 AM

Thanks for your input Chris.

I've added your thoughts to the mood board (link in my original post).

Be sure to drop by the gitter room too -- although I'll try to make sure any key updates go out in the forums too.

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Monday, 6 February 2017, 10:06 AM

Hi Tom,

I would also think of thing like padding. For example add a toggle to remove the padding if the block or article title is empty.

And how about providing a place holder for a company logo?

Cheers,

John

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Monday, 6 February 2017, 11:18 AM

Thanks John, have added your thoughts to the InVision mood board.

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
Re: New feature: Authoring tool theme editor
by Chuck Lorenz - Monday, 13 February 2017, 7:05 PM

Hey Adapt community,

I'm trying to give this feature a quick boost in visibility. Tom, Brian, Dan, and Thomas are excellent developers, but work moves quicker with more hands (and brains). We need and want your help.

This is an excellent opportunity to get involved in the development of a significant feature. One that is very necessary to the success of the authoring tool. One that will be front and center in every author's work. If your organization is currently using the authoring tool, contributing development time is a way to make sure your needs are discussed; it is a way to give back for the lovin' you've already received -- oh, and it's a way to pay it forward, too.

You don't have to be on the payroll of a collaborating company to make a difference (but hey collaborators, thanks for all you do!). Having worked in a distributed environment like this open source project is not a requirement either. If you have made customizations to your instance of the framework or authoring tool or have built some robust and stable plug-ins, you've got the skills needed to help. Yes, you may feel that you don't know enough about the code base to jump in. And if you had to work on your own, you might be right. But you won't be working on your own. You'll be working with other developers who will appreciate your willingness to help. They'll be there to answer your questions and to give you code strategies if you draw a blank. You'll find folks are quality oriented, collaborative, understanding about interruptions to schedules, and serious about writing good code. And they have a good sense of humor. Check out the adapt_authoring gitter room. Check out all the Adapt gitter rooms, especially during GMT business hours. Private message Tom Taylor (or Brian Quinn) if you'd like to help.

Thanks for your contributions if you have been collaborating with us. And if you haven't been, hope you'll join us soon.

Picture of aaron quinn
by aaron quinn - Monday, 13 February 2017, 10:17 PM

hi all,

how incorporating about a setting for rounded corners? maybe something like this:

Picture of R LetItHappen
by R LetItHappen - Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 12:51 AM

Hi all,

Two suggestions:

1 - A graphic selection like we see on the Chrome Inspect to select the editing properties, position, padding, margins for each kind of element: Component, Block, Article.... and like on Chrome Inspect highlight on the element itself what part are we selecting to edit.

2 - Certainly too complex, but it doesn't hurt to dream ;) - Develop a button to allow the user to switch from Mobile(small), Tablet(medium) and Desktop(large) sizes. Here we could edit the @device-width variables and looking at min-width or max-width related css properties allow to edit this properties and trigger the theme preview for each of the layouts.