me
Design-stream call 14/03/2014
by Sven Laux - Thursday, 13 March 2014, 11:37 PM

Hi,

ahead of the design stream call tomorrow, I'd like to set the agenda as follows:

• Progress update on setting up Mockflow and JIRA for the design stream. I will talk you through what I have done in setting things up.
  • Agreeing how we work with JIRA and Mockflow going forward. Next week, Petra, Paul and I will be using this in anger and I'd like us to be clear on who we work etc.
  • I propose:
    • We run design sprints from Mondays to end of Wednesdays (i.e. 1.5 weeks), leave Thursdays for review and sign-off, discuss issues and plan ahead on the regular Friday call.
    • All design work is assigned and tracked in JIRA - using the Agile tab (more on this on the call)
    • Reviews are done by whoever would like to input ahead of the call, i.e. on Thursdays. Reviews are done within Mockflow using the comments feature. (BTW: everyone in the community is able to see us working live on the UI here)
    • We don't have enough time to walk through all designs / wireframes on the Friday call so prior review is required. The call should be reserved to talk about specific issues / feedback. 
  • Finding a central place for requirements
    • We're finding new requirements and I would like to find a central place for them. I wonder if JIRA could be if. I am aware we need to consolidate systems as we now use JIRA, Redmine and Github.
  • Mockflow scalability
    • Mockflow is superb but having set the design project up very thoroughly, I am now finding some limitations with the system. My biggest bugbear is its folder management (with folders staying open). We may have to think about how we can split the design work into multiple projects, yet retain the power of templates and work consistently.
  • Talk through some designs and tackle specific issues
    • This Friday is an exception as you won't have had a chance to review the work done properly, so given time, Petra and I can talk attendees through the designs / user stories.
    • Tackle the question: What is a menu? The more I have been working on the user stories, the more the designs feel like 'sections' or 'folders'. It would be good to revisit the concept of a menu for the authoring tool and review the designs accordingly.
  • Resource and sprint planning for the next sprint
    • With a particular focus on getting people's time committed and making the best use of it during the next 1.5 weeks. I suggest priorities will be the 'Page editing' and 'Component editing' key pages.
  • Finish the current sprint and do the necessary admin
    • Just to close things out correctly.

Hope this makes sense,
Sven

me
Re: Design-stream call 14/03/2014
by Sven Laux - Saturday, 15 March 2014, 2:11 AM

Attendees:

• Petra, Sven, Paul, Daryl, Al, Dan

Thanks for the productive call.

Notes below:

• Progress update well received. It is felt the designers are making swift progress and have managed to start informing the authoring development stream. We expect that the next sprint will see us get ahead of the development efforts.
  • Sven has been leading the overall design effort and Petra has been supporting. Daryl has been concentrating on leading the development of the authoring tool frontend as well as the work on version 1.0.1 of the framework, which went out for BETA testing today. Tony has been unable to spend time on the project since producing an initial set of wireframes. 
  • We agreed on the proposed process and use of systems as above.
  • Mockflow stability and scalability was discussed. We have run into several issues (conflicts), which has caused loss of work for Petra on several occasions. While the work was recovered, this has been a setback and we no longer regard the tool as suitable for collaboration of multiple designers on a single project. To tackle this going forward, we have:
    • Decided to split the projects up into several sub-projects with a single owner/designer each. Unfortunately, this breaks the live view of the work for the community (apologies everyone!)
    • Created a 'project template', which will be replicated for each new system section (Action: Sven, done)
    • Set up a separate design project for 'Course structure', 'Login and profile' and 'Page editing' (Action: Sven; done)
  • Sven has also written to Produle (the makers of Mockflow) to log the issues and asked for them to get fixed. (Always the optimist!)
  • The specific design issue discussed was 'menus vs sections'. We agreed:
    • That each course would only have a single menu rendering engine (plug-in).
    • That in the course structure, we therefore aren't editing menus as such but rather sections or folders. The designs produced need updating. (Action: Sven; done)
  • Resource and sprint planning for the next design sprint: The next design sprint will start on Monday, 17th March and run until end of day Weds, 26th March. During this time, we have the following time available for design work: Sven: 3 days, Petra: 4 days, Paul: 3 days. This means we should aim for a burndown of around 20 points.
  • We agreed to divvy out the priorities as follows:
    • Paul: Page editing
    • Petra: Login and Profile
    • Sven: Component editing
  • The current sprint needs to be closed and the new sprint needs to be set up in JIRA. (Action: Sven, done)

Thanks
Sven