Picture of Martin Sandberg
Piechart component
by Martin Sandberg - Tuesday, 18 March 2014, 12:22 PM

Hi,

As a test to see how to develop plugins to Adapt I have created a Piechart plugin. It uses canvas to print a piechart with values from the items in the JSON.

If I have done everything correctly it should now be registered with Adapt and available for download.

Best regards,

Martin

Picture of Daryl Hedley
Re: Piechart component
by Daryl Hedley - Saturday, 22 March 2014, 9:07 AM

Hey Martin,

Thanks for contributing a component back. I haven't tried it out just yet but will be giving it a go next week. I wonder whether we could have a fallback for devices that don't support canvas? Maybe something with RaphaelJS?

Thanks,

Daryl

by Martin Sandberg - Monday, 24 March 2014, 7:59 AM

Thanks for you feedback, Daryl.

The support for canvas is very wide. The only browser that does not support it is IE8 and earlier.

See http://caniuse.com/#feat=canvas

Does Adapt support IE8? I think I read somewhere that it did not.

If Adapt supports IE8 I could surley make some fallback for it.

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 24 March 2014, 8:32 AM

Hey Martin,

It's a real shame that it's now only really IE8 that needs non-canvas support. Here's a link to our browser specification. Our approach would be to support as far back as IE8 if possible. We understand that some people do not need this support but for the community to fully adopt your plugin I would suggest an IE8 fallback. Please remember that you should create a list of limitations of your plugin - you can put this in your readme.md file on the Github account. I'm going to write up some documentation today to help with creating plugins. I'll post back on here when I've finished.

Thanks,

Daryl

by Martin Sandberg - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 8:02 AM

Thanks for your feedback Daryl. I will look into adding IE8 support when given time.

In the meantime I will add a line to the readme

BR

/ Martin