Picture of Khari Kambon
extensions cause "Error generating preview, please contact Administrator."
by Khari Kambon - Thursday, 30 March 2017, 7:31 PM

Using the Authoring Tool on RHEL 7 64-bit, I have an issue with using  two extensions: Spoor and Resources.  When not using both of these there is no problem preview or downloading, but if either of these are added to the course. Preview fails with the message "Error generating preview, please contact Administrator."

Where would I look to see details about this error?
How would I fix this if these both were included in the original install?

Thanks!

Picture of Khari Kambon
Re: extensions cause "Error generating preview, please contact Administrator."
by Khari Kambon - Monday, 3 April 2017, 11:27 PM

If nobody knows Red Hat Enterprise Linux, no worries, as I don't think this issue is specific to this environment, but any insight into where to look for details about this vague error would be helpful.  My biggest problem is I don't know where to look. Would appreciate any help with where to usually find details about errors.

Picture of Mick  Leyden
by Mick Leyden - Wednesday, 5 April 2017, 1:47 AM

Hey Khari, 

We have had a similar issue (but on Windows), the problem was the Grunt command was not executing. So everything worked fine including preview until the AT needed to run Grunt Build to rebuild the course. Perhaps try reinstalling Grunt-Cli?

cheers

mick

Picture of Khari Kambon
by Khari Kambon - Wednesday, 5 April 2017, 3:15 PM

Thanks for the idea, Mick. I'll try this but find it hard to believe Grunt's the problem because the same courses without those extensions  added can be previewed and downloaded.  These courses were made using the AT and not the framework. My biggest problem though is not knowing where to see details on these errors.  May I ask how you discovered for you "the Grunt command was not executing"?  Where exactly did you look to see this?  If you don't create the course using adapt-CLI, where would you look to troubleshoot errors for it?

Picture of Mick  Leyden
by Mick Leyden - Thursday, 6 April 2017, 4:46 AM

In our installation we start adapt from the command prompt, then leave it open and run the AT in a browser window from Localhost. Not sure if that is optimal or not, but it works. The good thing, is we can see what the AT is executing in the terminal window. This enabled is to find a problem with the grunt CLI not working properly.

What was happening was preview would work ok as long as grunt was not required, I am not sure on the exact process, but it seems when a structural change was made to the course (like a new extension or component) grunt would be required, which is when it would fail. 

We found this by getting the error message in the browser then looking at the terminal window to see what it was saying. As I say I am not sure if that is the best way to keep adapt running, but it works! :-)

Our problem was Grunt was set up in another user's profile, so that the PATH entry was missing, once we added that in and reinstalled grunt -cli all was good. :-)

cheers

mick

Picture of Khari Kambon
by Khari Kambon - Thursday, 6 April 2017, 1:59 PM

Ah, I see. Thanks for that explanation, Mick. I see that's what I'm missing. I will need to backtrack and see what went wrong. Thanks!