Picture of Matthew Terrentjev
adapt-cli installation fails on Centos server
by Matthew Terrentjev - Monday, 10 April 2017, 12:21 PM

Dear Adapt Community,

I am just wondering if anyone can help with installing adapt-cli in order to get authpring tool running.

Every time I go for npm install -g adapt-cli I get the following error:

npm ERR! Linux 3.10.0-514.6.1.el7.x86_64
npm ERR! argv "/usr/local/bin/node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "install" "-g" "adapt-cli"
npm ERR! node v4.2.6
npm ERR! npm  v2.14.12
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

npm ERR! nodegit@0.16.0 install: `node lifecycleScripts/preinstall && node lifecycleScripts/install`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the nodegit@0.16.0 install script 'node lifecycleScripts/preinstall && node lifecycleScripts/install'.
npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the nodegit package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR!     node lifecycleScripts/preinstall && node lifecycleScripts/install

It seems like all pre-requisites are installed just fine as per https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Install-on-Server#1 the following guildeline.

Thank you!

Picture of John Niezen
Re: adapt-cli installation fails on Centos server
by John Niezen - Monday, 10 April 2017, 12:41 PM

Hi Matthew, the problem is in the lifecycleScripts/ part, try to search a little bit more about how to use the legacy option for the installation. It has been mentioned here and you can also search stackoverflow for it.

I bumped into that myself also in 1 install, and after the correction it worked as a charm.

by Matthew Terrentjev - Monday, 10 April 2017, 2:23 PM

Thank you, John!

Yes, I have seen posts on trying to install nodejs-legacy and link nodejs to node path... But it doesn't help so far. Will keep trying.

by Matthew Terrentjev - Monday, 10 April 2017, 2:57 PM

Looks like problem solved... adapt-cli installed successfully only after I have installed nodejs using yum.

# rpm -Uvh https://rpm.nodesource.com/pub_4.x/el/7/x86_64/nodejs-4.2.0-1nodesource.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm

# yum install nodejs

Additionally installing these 2 packages:

# yum install openssl-devel
# yum install bzip2

So I am nearly there... the only thing now, after saying that it was installed without erros and now listenning on port 5000, I can't reach it in a web browser... But nearly there, haha =)

by Matthew Terrentjev - Monday, 10 April 2017, 3:09 PM

Should be port 80 =) so all is working now... haha =) Thank you a lot.