Howards Photo
Learning designer experience of Adapt so far
by Howard Taylor - Monday, 24 March 2014, 9:19 PM

Big thanks to everyone working on this framework! Please, please keep up the good work.

Not a proper developer but I will comment if I think I can add value to the project.

Ever since Sven outlined the vision to me many months ago I have been watching this project like a hawk. I'm someone who is passionate about responsive web design and e-learning. Authoring tools in the e-learning industry have been slow to follow trends on the internet so Adapt is definitely pushing things in the right direction.

My perspective comes from someone working as an e-learning designer in a small UK L&D team. We need to save as much time as possible when building content and have a large field based audience. Therefore the strategy to author one version of content for multi-device delivery makes sense. I've used Captivate for years but flirted with the twitter bootstrap framework to get the required responsive output. It required programming help to add interactive questions and SCORM reporting so I jumped to Adapt instead.

I have successfully built a couple of e-learning modules with the early framework. I do have some web design experience using HTML/CSS. L&D people without development skills may need to be patient and wait for the authoring tool front end before diving in.

EXPERIENCE USING 0.0.1 FRAMEWORK

I found it easy to set-up the server software and publish the default content. Once I got my head around navigating to the right locations using the command line ($ cd path) I could publish multiple courses into different folders.

JSON - At first I found it tricky to visually connect the content in the JSON files to the output. Having the JSON course files open in the right order from left to right (i.e. course / contentObjects / articles / blocks / components) helped with this and it eventually became easier.

Easy errors to make are:

• Editing JSON files in 'build/course/en' folder instead of 'src/course/en'
  • Missing comma's after parentheses (},) or extra comma at the end of the code fails to publish
  • Wrong ID numbers or missing blocks for parent articles.

I kept checking the output each time I made changes because there are no error messages to work with when it breaks.

It helps to understand that services are running that copy updates you make in src to build. When running git bash you can't move folders around or delete because services are running on your PC in the background. You need to look first to see if what you want to achieve can be done by running a command such as uninstall. It was useful to uninstall SCORM ($ adapt uninstall adapt-contrib-spoor) to publish non-scorm content.

THEME

I updated the theme images and changed the colour variables to match our brand very easily. I reduced the font size slightly on the headings. I found the top navigation bar was taking up too much space on a mobile so I reduced the height. I also tried adding some new css styled objects by adding in classes.

MY NEXT STEPS

• I should use a text editor that highlights incorrect JSON code (Dreamweaver didn't, trying Brackets)
  • I haven't tried uploading and tracking the SCORM output from Moodle yet. I think I will have to find a workaround for opening the adapt pages inside of the Moodle fixed frame.
  • I want to create a module as one page that launches from Moodle. I need to publish a single page with SCORM without the front menu page. 
  • Add more graphical content and personalise the theme more. Create my own separate custom theme as opposed to altering Vanilla (there are some instructions in the forum).

TESTING

Our main devices are IE8 desktop and windows mobile. I really like the way it works on the windows mobile phone. So far it works well, I have only noticed the following:

• Windows phone only - When I put two MCQ components together inside of a block, they overlap and float together. Even when set to left and right. The next question text wraps around the previous Submit button. To clear I need to place them in separate blocks.
  • Chrome on Android only - I can't pinch zoom the images.

It's been great fun to play around with the framework. I'm almost sorry the authoring tool is on the way. Just kidding, this is going to be a great authoring tool that allows learning professionals to focus on the learning design!

me
Re: Learning designer experience of Adapt so far
by Sven Laux - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 7:14 AM

Hi Howard,

thank you very much for the great feedback. It's great to hear that the Framework is working for you and to get a detailed insight into your experience. Thanks also for pointing out the easy mistakes to make.

To help with one of your next steps, here are some instructions on setting up an Adapt SCORM module in Moodle. Currently, this involves creating a further launch page by hand - we have logged an issue to do this automatically via the CLI.

Hope this helps and thank again!
Sven

me
by Sven Laux - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 8:22 AM

Here is the link with the relevant instructions: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=180&parent=869

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 12:18 PM

I've added some sample files at the bottom of the post Sven mentions which will work out of the box if you replace the imsmanifest and add the launch page.

Be aware the manifest wll get overwritten everytime you hist grunt build