Picture of Michel Gervais
Installing Git
by Michel Gervais - Saturday, 29 April 2017, 12:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install Adapt CLI, but it is required that I first  install NodeJS and git.

When installing Git I get a popup with the 3 setup options (see attached file). The adapt documentation doesn't provide instructions on which option to choose.

After that popup, other options are proposed and I'm not sure if the default options should be selected in all cases.

I have no idea what I'm doing here and would apreciate you help.

Million thanks

Michel

Picture of Scott L
Re: Installing Git
by Scott L - Saturday, 29 April 2017, 9:35 PM

Hi Michel,

Installing Git isn't always obvious when it's the first time you've done it. I've found that it's best to use Google to search for "installing git", and typically I got the answers I needed after reading 2 or 3 pages. Search YouTube for similar things and watch a couple videos/people actually go through the motions. It can be different based on which OS you use and where you download it from.

Especially if you're newer to using Git and don't have specific needs, you are likely to be quite safe going along with all of the default Git install settings. Go through the 7 or 8 screens with the default settings, and find/enjoy some of the well-written tutorials or YouTube videos out there, too. I remember thinking similar thoughts to you, and it feels a bit overwhelming, but I realized I was over-complicating it for myself.

Since the install process, and peoples' unique needs, can vary so much and since it's not truly part of the framework (but is obviously necessary), the Adapt guides don't get into the details here.

by Michel Gervais - Sunday, 30 April 2017, 1:36 PM

Thank you Scott for you kind reply.

I have indeed found a video that walks you through the whole framework install will all prerequisites including GIT. I'm not sure yet but it should do the trick.

thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 2 May 2017, 9:23 AM

since it's not truly part of the framework (but is obviously necessary), the Adapt guides don't get into the details here

And there's at least three different versions of Git for Windows (that I know of) so even if we wanted to get into this level of detail it would be quite a lot of work - not to mention make for some rather cluttered documentation!

FYI the option that's selected in the screenshot above is the right one.

If you get stuck on anything like this please feel free to pop over to the chat room to ask.

by Michel Gervais - Tuesday, 2 May 2017, 11:23 AM

Thanks Matt,

My first intention in installing GIT wat to eventually installed Adapt-CLI but reading further it was mentioned in an article that not only Adapt-CLI is not necessary with the authoring tool but both should not be used in conjunction.

Since then I have stoped any further investigation regarding Adapt-CLI, my priority being to become comfortable and autonomous with the Authoring tool before even look at the framework.

There is so much to learn just controling the authoring tool environment that I will stick to that for the moment.