Picture of Chris Thomas
Trouble adding course to non-LMS Server
by Chris Thomas - Thursday, 4 May 2017, 10:11 AM

Hi,

Forgive my lack of technical knowhow, but I will do my best. I have created a course with no problems at all and now want to export it to test it on my website. My site is not an LMS, but rather a standard Apache server, with PHP/MySQL/Node etc.

I have made sure I have SPOOR turned off, as per other threads I have read, but I'm still having trouble. When I export, my folder hierarchy looks like this:

I'm assuming it's the contents of 'src' that I want to upload to my server. However when I do, I get the following errors when I open index.html:

I'm clearly making some incorrect assumptions about how this should work.

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Picture of Chris Thomas
Re: Trouble adding course to non-LMS Server
by Chris Thomas - Thursday, 4 May 2017, 10:43 AM

Oops - may bad. Just discovered I should be using the 'Download' option, not 'Export Source Code'.

Whilst I'm here though, how easy would it be to track basic assessment to my own database, without implementing a full-blown LMS?

Thanks.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 4 May 2017, 10:56 AM

how easy would it be to track basic assessment to my own database, without implementing a full-blown LMS

That would totally depend on what sort of data you want to track, what you have in place already for user management/identification and what sort of technical expertise you have at your command.

Picture of Chris Thomas
by Chris Thomas - Thursday, 4 May 2017, 11:27 AM

I already have system for logging users in and storing information relating to learner activity in some maths HTML5 games I've made. Various user data is available such as a unique user ID, name etc.

I'm looking to implement Adapt to offer a broader range of tools that I can use for basic assessments.

Initially I'd simply be looking to store a score along side a user ID. Beyond that I'd be interesting in tracking activity against specific questions etc.

I'm pretty good with PHP, HTML and MySQL and have access to a developer who helps me out. I suppose my general question is whether it's possible and what approach I should be taking. Should I be implementing xAPI? Thanks so far.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 4 May 2017, 12:09 PM

Well implementing xAPI is certainly an option and would give you an immense amount of flexibility in terms of what you could report on. Note that Adapt doesn't have support for xAPI yet, it's something we're focussing on this year. There are some community plugins that provide xAPI support.

However, leaving xAPI aside, f you just want to record a score that's pretty easy, particularly If you can uniquely identify the user on the server side so don't have to worry about passing a user id into Adapt and back out again.

Have a look at how the assessmentResults component works as a starting point - that demonstrates code that listens for when an assessment is completed and then extracts all the necessary data like the score from it.