Picture of Khari Kambon
how to correctly use code exports from AT with framework? Can they be from the same AT/framework installation?
by Khari Kambon - Monday, 8 May 2017, 1:51 PM

So I have a few courses that have been created with the authoring tool, but I need to add to these functionality that is only compatible with the framework.  When I export the courses and build using the framework (not the same instance as where the AT is), the courses are not identical to the versions in the AT. The documentation here :https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Adapt-Command-Line-Interface states "Important: the CLI is only for use with developing standalone courses using the framework. Please do not attempt to use it in conjunction with an authoring tool installation."

Because of this I used a different framework installation (on a different computer) to build this exported course. It makes sense that the course would not be identical as it doesn't have all of the installs that the other computer's AT install has. Also, this different computer's framework install would later need plugin installs which require the use Adapt CLI. How would this affect courses that had previously been added to this from the AT?
The big question is what is the best way to continue working on a course exported from the AT?  What are the steps that should be taken? Are there really issues with building courses from the AT on the same framework (as the AT) or should this always happen on a different computer?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: how to correctly use code exports from AT with framework? Can they be from the same AT/framework installation?
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 9:05 AM

I think you may have misunderstood "Please do not attempt to use it in conjunction with an authoring tool installation".

It's absolutely fine to be running the authoring tool and framework on the same computer.

What you should NOT attempt to do is dig into the authoring tool folder structure and attempt to use the Adapt CLI on the instance of the framework you will find in there.

If you want to build a course from scratch in the framework on the same computer as your authoring tool install, just follow these instructions.

If you want to take a course you started in the authoring tool and finish it off in the framework on the same computer, just follow these instructions.

Picture of Khari Kambon
Re: how to correctly use code exports from AT with framework? Can they be from the same AT/framework installation?
by Khari Kambon - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 1:43 PM

thanks for clarifying, Matt. okay, I get that. So on the same computer, I should have another directory for just a separate framework installation?
But then, how do I get the framework build of the  AT-exported course to be identical to how it was when exported from the AT?
Do I have to make sure the framework has all of the same installs from the AT that I need? Or should this just be working? I recently tried this by building a course exported and it does not look the same. maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 3:37 PM

Is it maybe this problem?