Picture of Jack Sumeray
Course not loading the 2nd time it's accessed
by Jack Sumeray - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 9:14 AM

Hi All,

I have been using Adapt since its early days. I have recently had to upload a course into a new LMS, this is where the issue has started.

When the course is accessed the first time, it's fine, it will update the LMS with your passing score. However, the 2nd time it's accessed you just get a loading wheel and nothing appears. You can refresh this loading screen and the content does load but fails to establish a connection to the LMS, therefore not saving your progress.

The admins of this LMS have suggested it's something to do with either 'Bookmarks' or 'Suspend Data'. Please can someone help?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Course not loading the 2nd time it's accessed
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 10:01 AM

Two things to try:

1. When the course does this, press F12 to open the developer tools to see if there's any messages in the console. Note that if you're using IE11 you'll need to do this first.
  2. Upload the course to SCORM Cloud to see if it does the same thing on there or not

My guess? The LMS is mucking around with the data in suspend_data, changing it in a way that breaks it so that the course can no longer read it back in. This is not something the LMS should be doing - but it wouldn't be the first time (or the last!) we've encountered an LMS that does. Changing the style of quotes used from double (valid) to single (invalid) seems to be quite common.

Picture of Jack Sumeray
by Jack Sumeray - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 10:36 AM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached a screenshot of the console log that appears.

Like I said previously, you just a loading wheel until you click F5, then you are presented with the other 2 errors that I've attached.

I have tested the course in SCORM cloud and other, more reliable LMSs, and the content works fine.

is there a known fix for this?

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 11:22 AM

Yes, you go back to the LMS provider, point out that it works perfectly on SCORM Cloud and other Learning Management Systems and explain that the reason it doesn't on their LMS is because their code is changing double quotes in the suspend_data to HTML entities (why on earth?!) - then ask them to please stop doing that as well as any other forms of modification to the data in suspend_data.

Interesting that the course is throwing a 'could not connect to LMS error', that's a bit misleading. Will see if I can fix that.

Picture of Jack Sumeray
by Jack Sumeray - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 12:01 PM

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a go.

The 'could not connect to LMS error' only appears after you manually refresh the course after isn't does't continue from the loading wheel.

I'll let you know if I get this sorted!

Picture of Scott L
by Scott L - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 2:58 PM

Wow, this is quite odd indeed! Jack, you say this is a new LMS, and maybe its new for you to be using, or it's new in the market place - although this kind of strangeness has it standing on pretty shaky legs. Whatever the case, this functionality will probably break any course that gets put into it.

Although not Adapt-specific, if you have used any other eLearning authoring tools, you could also create a quick demo using one of them and put that into the LMS  for quick launching, exiting, re-launching tests, and give your LMS folks more evidence. Good luck!