Picture of James Wan
Publishing in AICC, SCORM 2004 or TinCan
by James Wan - Thursday, 18 May 2017, 10:21 AM

hi, I would like to ask if Adapt publishes to AICC, SCORM 2004 or Tin Can. If so, how would one change the publishing settings if using the AT?

thanks,

Picture of Scott L
Re: Publishing in AICC, SCORM 2004 or TinCan
by Scott L - Friday, 19 May 2017, 1:59 PM

Hi there Shaun,

I do believe that the only core, fully-supported communication standard is SCORM 1.2. As you may or may not be aware, it is provided via https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-spoor/wiki.

I'm guessing because there has been little demand over the years for AICC (rarer but still sometimes used in the U.S., I don't know about other places), it has never been worked into the framework.

Tin Can / xAPI is on their roadmap for either a 2.X release or a 3.X release.

Regarding SCORM 2004, I don't believe that the framework and its components/extensions are utilizing any of the spec's additional features, so there'd be no "data recording/tracking" improvement or benefit if it were possible to switch to that SCORM version (which it likely is, via one's own modifying as a developed outside of the authoring tool, but you'd have to look around in here). SCORM 2004 supports, among other things, sequencing (a complicated way of dealing with navigation in courses for the LMS to assist with, not used in Adapt), and additional Interaction model data (for low-level tracking of things, also not used by Adapt).

From a business or client standpoint, most projects are quite safe being associated with SCORM 1.2, which is the widest-supported LMS spec. But, as with any project, if your clients are requiring something of an edge case, say older AICC or newer Tin Cap / xAPI- and that was the only delivery they accepted - then you'd need to re-evaluate things.

Picture of James Wan
Re: Publishing in AICC, SCORM 2004 or TinCan
by James Wan - Sunday, 21 May 2017, 7:37 AM

Thank you.