Picture of Suresh Kumar
Customize text component
by Suresh Kumar - Wednesday, 24 May 2017, 4:52 PM

Hi,

I am using the authoring tool to build the course. On the last page of the course, I am using a text component to display some information. In this component, I would like to have a checkbox (like a confirmation). I manage to add the checkbox by adding the HTML input tag to the text component's body field under the source code. I would like to make sure the users click the checkbox in order to treat this component completed. Any suggestions on how to achieve this? Thanks.

Picture of Scott L
Re: Customize text component
by Scott L - Wednesday, 24 May 2017, 9:15 PM

Hi Suresh,

It sounds to me like you might need to have a new (text-customized) component developed to serve this purpose. But aside from a development-oriented vague answer such as this, I have a sideways answer that won’t be perfect but is a workaround with the current components (and saves you the time from learning how to create a new component).

Maybe the analogy is like “using a wrench to hammer a nail” or something equally similar-but-not-really-true. Since components must be viewed/fully interacted with in order to set themselves as completed (and collectively set the courses’ completion), you could use what’s available and insert an interaction with just one item in it. For example, add an accordion component as the last one in your article, with one item.

This may do the trick to meet your needs, but it won't be quite how you'd really want it. It depends on what time you have and what you can afford to figure out. I think it's workable especially since you are using the authoring tool.

Picture of Ignacio Cinalli
by Ignacio Cinalli - Wednesday, 24 May 2017, 9:22 PM

Hi Suresh, another option is a custom component.
I attach a component plugin adapt-textConfirmation.zip

Could you try it on your authoring tool?

Picture of Scott L
by Scott L - Thursday, 25 May 2017, 3:24 AM

Nice, Ignacio! Looks like a nice solution for Suresh. I haven't tried this in the AT myself, but I did put it into a test of the framework and had success with it.

Picture of Suresh Kumar
by Suresh Kumar - Thursday, 25 May 2017, 3:04 PM

Thanks Scott. That is a nice workaround that you suggested. 

Thank you Ignacio!! This is exactly what I wanted for my course. I tried this with the AT, and it works successfully.

Picture of Henrik Aabom
by Henrik Aabom - Friday, 26 May 2017, 5:19 AM

We have been using the multiple choice component in cases like this. For instance to get a confirmation from the user that he/she agrees that they have seen and understood the information in the course. 

By using the multiple choice component, you have the option to lock the user's progress until they answer and the answer is also recorded in the LMS. Win win!

It works like a charm :)