Picture of Suresh Kumar
Show confirmation message on course completion
by Suresh Kumar - Monday, 12 June 2017, 9:56 AM

Hi,

I am using the Authoring tool. In my course, I have 6 pages, mostly used text components, accordion, tabs and a custom text component (on the last page/block) with a check-box in it, to get users confirmation on something. The course completion criteria are that the user has to visit all the pages, all the interactive elements and select the check box used on the last page of the course. All these are working fine. 

The page level progress is enabled, and it does show on each page and on the menu page how much the user has progressed. This is working fine too.

I wanted to show a congratulations message using a pop-up once the user completed the course OR a simple message when the user directly jump to the last page and select the confirmation checkbox. How do I do that? How do I check if the user has fulfilled the completion criteria within the authoring tool?

Thanks!

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Show confirmation message on course completion
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 12 June 2017, 10:57 AM

Whether using the authoring tool or the framework, you would need to build an extension to do this.

Picture of aaron quinn
by aaron quinn - Monday, 12 June 2017, 3:29 PM

hi suresh,

have a look at the savetosheet extension. it listens for when the course is complete and displays a push notification to alert the user when something happens. you can probably use this logic and reconfigure it to make your own extension.

actually, you could do both. your checkbox could trigger a notify push notification for a simple message, and your new extension could listen for course _isComplete and trigger a notify popup for a more detailed message.

Picture of Dan Storey
by Dan Storey - Monday, 12 June 2017, 4:02 PM

Hi Suresh,

Turns out I needed the exact same functionality and so developed an extension that does this. See:

https://github.com/danielstorey/adapt-notifyOnComplete

Hope this helps

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 12 June 2017, 4:16 PM

Nice one!

I notice that the properties.schema seems to be copied from Trickle... and there's no example.json.

I might well be using this on a project in the next few days so hopefully I'll have some time to sort this out for you...

Picture of Suresh Kumar
by Suresh Kumar - Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 2:32 PM

Thank you, Matt, Aaron and Dan!! Great suggestions as always! 

I tried the adapt-notifyOnComplete component using the framework. It works perfectly for my requirement. Thank you so much, Dan!

It would be great if i could use the component on the Authoring tool as well. 

Picture of Dan Storey
by Dan Storey - Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 3:19 PM

Great! I'm so glad you found it useful.

It should work in the Authoring tool as well, although I haven't tested it yet. Please let me know if you have any success.

Cheers, Dan

Sorry Matt - I just saw your earlier message. At the time of posting I hadn't pushed my latest version to github. It's all up to date now though including schema and example

Picture of Suresh Kumar
by Suresh Kumar - Sunday, 18 June 2017, 10:53 AM

Hi Dan,

I downloaded your latest version of the adapt-notifyOnComplete (1.0.2) component. I installed it on the authoring tool. When I add this component to one of the blocks and try to open it. It shows the message "Missing required 'schema.subSchema' option for Object editor". Though it works fine on the framework, it is great to have this component in the authoring tool. It would be great if you could suggest how to fix this? 

Thanks!

Picture of Suresh Kumar
by Suresh Kumar - Friday, 13 October 2017, 12:44 AM

Hi Matt/Dan,

The notifyOnComplete plugin is still not working fine on the authoring tool. Have you got a chance to fix the issue? So that it can be used within the authoring tool.

https://github.com/danielstorey/adapt-notifyOnComplete

I am looking forward to using this in the authoring tool for my new project. It is a great feature. 

Currently, the notifyOnComplete shows the message once learner completed the course. Would it be possible to show the message when the learner revisits the course on LMS. If there is an indication that can be shown in the home page of the course or in the header section regarding the completion will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 13 October 2017, 8:44 AM

Hi Suresh

The only thing I can see wrong is that there don't seem to be any legend fields in the properties.schema

Your best bet is to compare it to a properties.schema that you know works such as this one. You can also find documentation for these files here.

If you can't figure it out you should probably log an issue rather than post here.